Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted this on a few forums. I forgot about posting it here and think its quite interesting.

Original post
Since around spring I've been looking into ways of increasing fuel economy for the 2003 Matrix that I was planning on and eventually picked up early this summer. My research on the topic brought about many different ways of increasing mileage from maintenance, engine gizmos, and driving techniques. So, I'd just like to take a minute to share my experiences, because I think its worth while.

My best success so far has actually been on my 1997 Paseo that I use in my commute when not carpooling with my wife to work. The car is modified a bit and not really for fuel effeciency. I had read about some driving techniques online. Some I quickly dismissed as crazy, but the others I started using. This initially brought my mileage from about 36-37 to 40-41 mpg (US). However, about mid October I was invited to a Milwaukee Hybrid Group meet by one of the members of a mileage forum I frequent. I went and they had some good info. They also offered some driver training after the meeting and I gladly accepted. I went out with a guy and he taught me some of the techniques I had originally thought of as crazy. They were surprisingly easy to do, so I started using them in my daily driving. Since then, I have filled up only twice. My first tank I hit 47.9 mpg, and the second tank I just filled up yesterday at 48.5 mpg.

I have posted my milage log below. I have been tracking it since summer so you can really see the jumps. FYI, during this time I have done no real modifications to the car physically other than inflate the tires to a higher pressure. These numbers are almost entirely from a change in driving style.

A later post
Just thought I'd give a little update as I progress with this. I went up north this weekend (4 hr trip roughly) to do a late Christmas with my dad. I didn't need the extra space of the Matrix, so I took the Paseo with the wife. Including one trip to work and back I filled up the tank on the way home after traveling 435.5 miles on 8.4 gallons! Yeah, thats 51.8 mpg (US) guys. Not too shabby eh?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only physical change made to the car was to pump the tires up to the maximum sidewall pressure rated on the tire. Other than that, it was all driving style. If I had to say, I'd attribute most of my success to the pulse and glide technique. However, they all work together to really increase fuel economy.

If your interested in giving it a shot I recommend heading over to www.cleanmpg.com and talking about things with the fellas there. They have a good bunch that are more than willing to help. Other than that, I'd recommend reading the article below for an explination of the many techniques used to increase fuel economy. Some are hybrid oriented, most are not.

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and how to Hypermile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts