Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '79 PU with a stock engine and carb. The deal was as is for a certain price and $200 more to get it running. I chose to pay the $200. In the course of getting it running the guy I bought it from said one of the problems was that the oil sensor switch shuts off the fuel when it senses the oil pressure is too low. Apparently that switch was defective. For some reason rather than replacing the oil sensor switch, he bypassed it and put a toggle switch on the dash.

The real problem is that he failed to make it clear to me that the fuel pump toggle switch needed to be turned off when the ignition was turned off and I left it on overnight. But once I recharged the battery I haven't been able to start the truck other than briefly by puttg some gas in the carb. I have checked both the fuel line from the tank that goes into the fuel filter and there was about 1/2 cup of fuel after just a few quick seconds of turning the engine over with the starter. The same was true for the fuel line going from the fuel filter to the carb.

My question is, what could have changed or have been broken inside of the carb by leaving the fuel pump running over night until the battery ran out of juice and can it be fixed without a total carb overhaul?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean did I check the fuel pump, yes I did. It's in the gas tank and I checked the line from the gas tank to the fuel filter as well as the line from the fuel filter to the carb. Other than that, I'm clueless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my guess is the problem is somewhere in the carb. I just want to know if anyone knows enough about carbs to help me do some troubleshooting with the carb to possibly fix the problem without doing a total rebuild.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
To start with you need to see if there is gas in the bowl and if so, if it's making it thru the carb.
Does the carb have a sight glass to check fuel level in the bowl? The 22R carb does but I don't know if your 20R carb does.

Turn you fuel pump on so you know fuel is getting to the carb.
Pull the air cleaner off, look down the throat of the carb (open the butterfly valve if it's closed), and manually work the throttle linkage at the carb. Each time you move the throttle cable you should see a little stream of gas shoot out down into the throat. If not there may not be any gas in the bowl.
If there is any doubt you can pour fuel into the bowl thru the vent tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks, but you know what? I was going to pull the carb and rebuild it, but after I removed the air cleaner I was messing with the throttle and saw a little pump lever that seems to be attached to the choke and I messed around with that little pump and then looked down the throat of the carb and smelled fuel, so I decided to give it a try and it started right up.

Hurray!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts