Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're like me and like to listen to your music loud, then that annoying rattle from the switch panels from both front doors probably annoys the hell out of you. I finally had enough and decided it was worth the risk to try to pop that panel off and fix it. I was feeling quite confident and bold, as I just completed the temp gauge/compass fix (re-soldering loose resistor) I found here on TN.

I noticed that the rattle stopped whenever my knee was resting on the side of the door. That's because my knee was putting a slight pressure on the switch plate, which had a little room to rattle in the door panel.

So, here's what I did:

Popped the switch plate panel off. Keep the pressure towards the center, that's where the latch is, and don't pry it at, just lift up. It comes out without too much force.

Now that the panel was out, I could see what I was working with.

I cut a small piece of foam from a new, unused household sponge.

I wrapped that piece of foam around the rear of the unit, and popped it back into place. The sponge fills the gap and prevents it from rattling. It's held in place by the lower tab on the switch plate and the edge of the door panel.

Repeated the same thing on the passenger side and now I can listen to loud music and not have the bass cause the doors to rattle. Much better!

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
thats where the noise was coming from?! LOL. cool i'll do this over the weekend. nice write up

·
Griff
914 Posts
i haven't had problems with mine rattling, but if i do i'll definitely try this.

one thing to fix the DIY though, don't pry on the panel from the middle. pry from the front edge of it. that is where it actually releases from the clip, then pull up on the front of the panel and out. the back part of the panel has a "c" clip. pulling from the middle may break that clip. just a heads-up!

good job though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i haven't had problems with mine rattling, but if i do i'll definitely try this.

one thing to fix the DIY though, don't pry on the panel from the middle. pry from the front edge of it. that is where it actually releases from the clip, then pull up on the front of the panel and out. the back part of the panel has a "c" clip. pulling from the middle may break that clip. just a heads-up!

good job though :thumbsup:
???

In the top picture, there's that the small tap sticking down in the middle. It's a wedge shape with a ledge that catches the edge of the door panel where the switch assembly sits. That's where most of the resistance originated from pulling it out, so that's where I pulled from.

·
Registered
2009 TM DblCb Tacoma
94 Posts
i think your thumb is broke, lol

nice fix man, thanks
They're just double jointed. Mine bend to just about 90 degrees on both hands :) (it's actually supposed to be the dominant gene).

I think this mod will be done as soon as I get my truck... the padding, not the thumb, of course.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the DIY write up!! I'm going to get this sh#* done this weekend...no more rattle. 2 thumbs up!

·
Griff
914 Posts
???

In the top picture, there's that the small tap sticking down in the middle. It's a wedge shape with a ledge that catches the edge of the door panel where the switch assembly sits. That's where most of the resistance originated from pulling it out, so that's where I pulled from.
i'm not bashing you or anything.... it's just from personal experience. i've taken mine out a couple of times and have had more luck from the top/front... however you want to describe it. whatever works for you man.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
If you're like me and like to listen to your music loud, then that annoying rattle from the switch panels from both front doors probably annoys the hell out of you. I finally had enough and decided it was worth the risk to try to pop that panel off and fix it. I was feeling quite confident and bold, as I just completed the temp gauge/compass fix (re-soldering loose resistor) I found here on TN.

I noticed that the rattle stopped whenever my knee was resting on the side of the door. That's because my knee was putting a slight pressure on the switch plate, which had a little room to rattle in the door panel.

So, here's what I did:

Popped the switch plate panel off. Keep the pressure towards the center, that's where the latch is, and don't pry it at, just lift up. It comes out without too much force.

Now that the panel was out, I could see what I was working with.
Nice dude! :thumbsup: However, I never use any metal on any plastic! :disappoin I can use my fingernails and pry it off. I took mine off a while back just to see what was underneath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts