Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was, driving home from work on a side street that I sometimes use to avoid traffic on the main thoroughfare. I was on my side of the road and well under the speed limit, approaching a stop sign where I make a left turn. All of a sudden I heard a thump, thump. I saw nothing. I didn't know what happened. I thought maybe I'd run over a garbage bag and it was stuck under the front end of my car.

I decided to stop and take a look, and when I glanced back while making my turn, that's when I saw the owner tending to his dog on the sidewalk. That's when i realized what had happened. The dog had charged out on the street from a dog park and slammed head first into the side of my car. The owner said the dog was ok, but it should have been on a leash. The dog was NOT under the owner's control. NOT.

The lower driver's door got damaged and I didn't even notice until I was washing the car a few days later. The Toyota rep who did the estimate said the color white can make it harder to notice. So now I'm out $900 and 3 days for the repair. The dog owner should pay, but I haven't got a clue who he is. I should have inspected my car more thoroughly but I didn't.

That's it. That's the end of my sad story.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
There I was, driving home from work on a side street that I sometimes use to avoid traffic on the main thoroughfare. I was on my side of the road and well under the speed limit, approaching a stop sign where I make a left turn. All of a sudden I heard a thump, thump. I saw nothing. I didn't know what happened. I thought maybe I'd run over a garbage bag and it was stuck under the front end of my car.

I decided to stop and take a look, and when I glanced back while making my turn, that's when I saw the owner tending to his dog on the sidewalk. That's when i realized what had happened. The dog had charged out on the street from a dog park and slammed head first into the side of my car. The owner said the dog was ok, but it should have been on a leash. The dog was NOT under the owner's control. NOT.

The lower driver's door got damaged and I didn't even notice until I was washing the car a few days later. The Toyota rep who did the estimate said the color white can make it harder to notice. So now I'm out $900 and 3 days for the repair. The dog owner should pay, but I haven't got a clue who he is. I should have inspected my car more thoroughly but I didn't.

:eek: ouch that totally sucks! Im so sorry about your car man, I had recently got my car repaired after it was broken into in August....or was it July?....whatever and we were stuck with the damage of course and paid the $500 deductable (repairs cost well over a $1k maybe up to 3k:eek:) Im assuming that you didnt use your insurance? and you are CORRECT...the dog should have been on a leash! And I did the same thing, I didnt see some damage on my car until a few days later and that just added to the list of things to get fixed later....oh well, all is good now. OH! If you dont want swirl marks on you clear coat, DONT let the dealer wash you car! I forgot and now I have a lot more, but nothing some elbow grease wouldn't fix but I wish it didnt have to be done. So tell them to not wash the car.....only SHINE the tires(they use really nice tire shine just FYI:thumbsup:)

·
10 Corolla S, 11 H/L SE
210 Posts

Go case out the dog park until you see him again, then give him a copy of your invoice.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
That is what I would do too.

Its too bad your car got damaged, cuz that is one funny titled post....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
sorry to hear that man, ya go back to the park and get hold of the guy.

i must admit, when i saw the title i LOL'd!

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
Sucks about your car. If it isn't creased or doesn't have any scratches through your paint a good paintless dent repair service should be able to get it out for less than $150.

If you dont want swirl marks on you clear coat, DONT let the dealer wash you car!
Good thing his car is white and doesn't have clear coat. Enough washing a car is going to give any finish swirl marks. However a good buff, polish, and wax can have it looking better than new.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
Sucks about your car. If it isn't creased or doesn't have any scratches through your paint a good paintless dent repair service should be able to get it out for less than $150.

Good thing his car is white and doesn't have clear coat. Enough washing a car is going to give any finish swirl marks. However a good buff, polish, and wax can have it looking better than new.
yeah. Forgot about paintless dent repair:facepalm:.... I think they are going to do that to my car soon.

they have a clear coat? wtf?! What about my silver?

my friend told me that its pretty thin(which I already knew) and started talking about paint, so of course I barely understood anything lol and then I heard something about single stage paint and I always wanted to know more about that but he didnt know too much.....can someone elaborate on that plz?

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Talk about a misleading thread title! :lol:

You should have taken down the guys info at the scene of the accident. It's anyones guess now...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Talk about a misleading thread title! :lol:

You should have taken down the guys info at the scene of the accident. It's anyones guess now...
lol i was thinking something totally different when i saw this lol
yeah even now if he tries to go to the park the guy would just deny that it was his dog that did it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to eat the cost myself. There's damage to the lower quarter panel and the driver's door. They'll have to repaint the door after fixing it. The dog must have been on a tear but I didn't see it at all so I don't really know.

·
It needsa muffler bearing
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
Arent dog parks supposed to be fenced in? People are not too smart. I have a neighbor whose dog likes to run around in the road. My dog unfortunetly like to sprint straight into the water everytime I open my door. :facepalm:. Fun until he sprints back in the house and shakes off inside.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
114 Posts
Spec:

Do you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy?

If that dog had damaged my car like that, I could file a claim on my comprehensive, and there would be no deductible. The repair would cost me NADA.

Tom

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
Only solid colors (ie: no metallic, pearl or mica in the paint) are single stage paint from Toyota. Your silver does have clear.

Two Stage Paints consist of a base coat which looks very flat until the next step clear coat is layered on top which usually ads UV protection and the shiny glossy look.

Some pearls consist of a 3 Stage job which is a regular basecoat, a transparent pearl coat, and then a clear coat.

The reason pearls, micas, etc have clear is because they need UV and protection from the elements.

On a single stage you would have metallic, pearl, etc sitting right on top of the paint and exposed to the elements.

Single stage is also usually quicker to oxidize (milky look) than paints with a clear coat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is lame about your car being damaged...

When I read the title, I thought of a certain Toyota ad featuring a red seventh generation Celica...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts