Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im a backyard mechanic and im stumped on a few things, i bought a 91 4runner 4cyl auto, and i failed the MA state insp with very high NOX levels, the engine seems to run pretty good but it gets horrible MPG around 12, the truck has 2 other problems im stumped on, any help would be greatly appreciated, when hot it is a little hard to start it turns over a few extra times, Also when the engine is running and the oil fill cap is removed allot of air and oil comes spattering out, is this normal ???
any help at all would be great, thanks
nate laflamm..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also when the engine is running and the oil fill cap is removed allot of air and oil comes spattering out, is this normal ???
yeah

sounds like it's time for a major tune up, my mileage has never been great but 12mpg is just sad....

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
sounds like an egr system malfunction. things to look in to are check engine codes. if theres any read the manual to find out how to pull them with a paper clip or jumper from the diagnosis panel. if no light id do a major tune up like yesterdaysyouth said. plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter and air filter. pcv valve is another thing to check as well as the o2 sensor. could be a vacuum leak or crossed vacuum lines or a vacuum switch valve. as for the oil cap thing thats normal mine is brand new and does it. when it comes to emissions stuff take it to a dealer or a mechanic who specializes in emissions repair and is certified. i belive the testing centers have a list of approved shops. you are usually better of this way because they usually can isolate the problem immediatly rather than guessing and throwing parts at it. my truck has an egr system malfunction but in fla we have no emissions and my cat is about to get removed to make way for a new exhaust system so im not worried so much. i am in the process of building megasquirt 2 fuel injection so ill do away with obd 1 completly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts