Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there... new member here. :)

I just got a new 2005 Corolla CE w/5-speed.

A few questions:

1) Where can I get a Corolla repair manual, apart from getting the "Genuine Toyota" one? I asked the dealer and they said it was around $100+ :rolleyes: and needed to be ordered :rolleyes:
I tried looking for a Haynes repair manual, but they don't seem to have one for the 2003+ Corolla's.

2) Does anyone know the part numbers for the OEM power window switch panels, or if I could get them from somewhere other than the dealer? My car (base model) came with manual door locks, manual windows, etc... so I'm going to upgrade those. But I don't want to use aftermarket power window switches, they just look too tacky.

3) How do I disable the DRL's and auto headlights? The auto headlights tend to come on at random times (when it's not too dark), and dims the instrumentation panel as well.

That's all for now ;)

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
JohnC said:

3) How do I disable the DRL's and auto headlights? The auto headlights tend to come on at random times (when it's not too dark), and dims the instrumentation panel as well.
The "auto headlights" are activated by the light aren't they? If it is dark, they'll come on automatically.
To disable the DRL, you gotta disable the power using the fuse box.

Perhaps someone can elaborate on what I've said.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First of all, Haynes and Chiltons manuals suck. While they are better than having nothing when working on your car, they are vague, and try to cover too many different years and models of Corollas. Your car is a 2005, but half of a Haynes manual will probably be devoted to all of the various '93-up models, so the info in them that is actually useful to you is quite small. Factory manuals are devoted to your specific year and model only, and contain EVERYTHING you could possibly need to know about your car. These manuals are the only way to go, but as you said they are expensive. The only drawback to them (other than the price) is that they are not written in "layman's terms". It is assumed by Toyota that since you are reading one of their factory manuals you must be a factory-trained mechanic, and these manuals often recommend using special Toyota tools that you will not have access to. Still, they are light-years ahead of the aftermarket manuals and are not hard at all to use if you have any mechanical abilities and/or common sense. Try to think of it in terms of how much money you will save by USING the manual...even at $100 it will pay for itself quickly over the course of a few small repairs. On the other hand, your car will be under warranty for quite some time, so it may not be an investment you need to make right now. Toyota or any mechanic will charge $60+ to even LOOK at your car...with the factory manual you will be able to perform many procedures yourself.

It is really not adviseable to try to install power windows on your car. While some cars are already pre-wired for these kinds of swaps, Corollas tend not to be. Not only do you need the switches, you also need the motors, relays, and the door panels are probably different too. If you need power windows, go back and get a Corolla that already has them.

As far as the auto lights go, there is usually a sensor on the dash that detects light and controls the headlights. If this sensor becomes covered (by something on your dash) then the headlights can come on at random times. Driving through tunnels, through tall trees, etc, also tend to make them come on. Good luck! Regards, Aaron

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I remember reading an old camry post that states you can just pull up on the sensor on the dash and disconnect it from there. Then either zip tie it or use some thread to hold the wire so it doesn't fall into the dash. Also not sure about the corolla but on the 97-01 camry's there is a connector in the engine bay at the top left near the firewall on the passenger side. If you disconnect it then you disable your DRL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cobrajet25 said:
First of all, Haynes and Chiltons manuals suck. While they are better than having nothing when working on your car, they are vague, and try to cover too many different years and models of Corollas. Your car is a 2005, but half of a Haynes manual will probably be devoted to all of the various '93-up models, so the info in them that is actually useful to you is quite small. Factory manuals are devoted to your specific year and model only, and contain EVERYTHING you could possibly need to know about your car. These manuals are the only way to go, but as you said they are expensive. The only drawback to them (other than the price) is that they are not written in "layman's terms". It is assumed by Toyota that since you are reading one of their factory manuals you must be a factory-trained mechanic, and these manuals often recommend using special Toyota tools that you will not have access to. Still, they are light-years ahead of the aftermarket manuals and are not hard at all to use if you have any mechanical abilities and/or common sense. Try to think of it in terms of how much money you will save by USING the manual...even at $100 it will pay for itself quickly over the course of a few small repairs. On the other hand, your car will be under warranty for quite some time, so it may not be an investment you need to make right now. Toyota or any mechanic will charge $60+ to even LOOK at your car...with the factory manual you will be able to perform many procedures yourself.

It is really not adviseable to try to install power windows on your car. While some cars are already pre-wired for these kinds of swaps, Corollas tend not to be. Not only do you need the switches, you also need the motors, relays, and the door panels are probably different too. If you need power windows, go back and get a Corolla that already has them.

As far as the auto lights go, there is usually a sensor on the dash that detects light and controls the headlights. If this sensor becomes covered (by something on your dash) then the headlights can come on at random times. Driving through tunnels, through tall trees, etc, also tend to make them come on. Good luck! Regards, Aaron
Is the factory manual really worth that much more? A Haynes manual is only $25, I don't exactly know the price of a factory manual but they said it was $100+. I'm not going to be doing any major repairs, just want to find out how to take things apart / put them back together etc... like for an installation of power windows or something.

Power windows - I should be able to get four basic motors and wiring for about $250, but I need to have the controls. I *think* the controls from the Corolla LE (std PW) should fit into my CE, except it's mounted on a (fake) woodgrain panel rather than gray plastic. I'm not really too concerned with that, I can just change the plastic on the dash to woodgrain as well to match.
I don't really need power windows, but since I'll be putting in power door locks and will already have to take the doors apart I might as well put power windows in too.

The auto lights tend to come on in the evening, when it's not dark enough to have them on.
One problem I've noticed the last couple of days: it's been raining pretty hard here and there's a lot of oil mixed with water on the road... by having the low beams on (even from just the DRL), it reflects right back into my eyes. :(

trdcamry2003: thanks for the link, very informative site... I'll see if it works :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, the factory manuals are worth the money. Buying a factory manual is one of the first things I do after I get a car, but then I do ALL of my own work. A Haynes manual is only about 3/4 of an inch thick, and only about 1/2 of that is dedicated to your particular car. The rest is dedicated to other models and years. On the other hand, the factory manual is nearly 3 inches thick and every WORD is dedicated specifically to your model and year. As far as value for the money, the factory manuals may cost more but have a lot more info.

What do you plan on doing with the hole in the door panels where the window crank handle goes? Even if the wiring and the switches are installed, there will still be a hole in the door panel, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doug548 said:
Also Try lightsout.org. Did mine took 10 min.
They don't seem to have the instructions for the 05 Corolla...:(

cobrajet25 said:
Yes, the factory manuals are worth the money. Buying a factory manual is one of the first things I do after I get a car, but then I do ALL of my own work. A Haynes manual is only about 3/4 of an inch thick, and only about 1/2 of that is dedicated to your particular car. The rest is dedicated to other models and years. On the other hand, the factory manual is nearly 3 inches thick and every WORD is dedicated specifically to your model and year. As far as value for the money, the factory manuals may cost more but have a lot more info.

What do you plan on doing with the hole in the door panels where the window crank handle goes? Even if the wiring and the switches are installed, there will still be a hole in the door panel, right?
I called Toyota today and asked about the factory manuals... the 05 Corolla manuals come in two volumes, $128 for the first one and $120 for the second one... so almost $250 for both. IMO not really worth the spend.

With the window crank handle holes... I just plan on getting some plastic / rubber plugs from home depot and painting them grey to match my interior.:)

So it seems like nobody's attempted to install power windows into a Corolla CE before? :confused: it doesn't seem that hard, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know for sure.:eek::
Any ideas where I could at least get the part numbers for the window control panels?

I thought about this before I got my car... I could've gotten a LE instead but the only real advantages it would've had over my car were power windows, power door locks / keyless entry, and the optitron gauges. But definitely not worth the $4000 extra over my CE. (I got mine for below invoice, BTW:))

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
To get the part numbers call the parts desk at the Toyota dealer and ask for a price for the "replacement panels". If they won't give you the part number then call an independent shop and they'll call Toyota for a price and probably get the part number for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 Corolla Keyless Entry

Hi John

I just bought a 05 corolla CE yesterday. It has power windows and door locks and also cruise control. It didn't come with keyless entry.? Don't know if the system for it is in there or not.? I was reading the 06 Corolla books and they say you can't buy a 06 CE with keyless entry. Was the 05 like this ? If not does anybody have a code for the 05 ?
Good luck John with it .......................Swifgriff

·
Registered
983 Posts
Swifgriff said:
Hi John

I just bought a 05 corolla CE yesterday. It has power windows and door locks and also cruise control. It didn't come with keyless entry.? Don't know if the system for it is in there or not.? I was reading the 06 Corolla books and they say you can't buy a 06 CE with keyless entry. Was the 05 like this ? If not does anybody have a code for the 05 ?
Doesn't come with key-less entry, You have to go with an after market, around $150 if they install and $75 if you buy the kit and do it yourself...You only get what you pay for the CE is your basic bottom end of the corolla line....Good Luck...Radd

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as the factory service manuals, they are MUCH better than a Haynes or Chilton. If you are worried about price, keep your eyes on Ebay for used manuals. Might not be many for an 05, but wait a year or two and they are bound to show up.

I was able to buy my used manual set for about $20. Granted, the car was 6 years old at that point, so there were more manuals in circulation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Swifgriff said:
Hi John

Do you mean the remote on the keychain? My '05 CE has it, and I'm pretty sure they all do. Unless you're talking about something else.

:confused:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Do you mean the remote on the keychain? My '05 CE has it, and I'm pretty sure they all do. Unless you're talking about something else.
Maybe its a feature on Canadian built cars because the "key locks" always freeze in the -30F temps :yikes: ..I went to Toyota.com and built a CE and it didn't give key-less entry as a feature :confused, it said to upgrade to a LE for more options...Maybe you have an LE Guido...just kidding...Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it said....Radd~

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Haynes (And Gregory's) manuals over here tend to take a few years to be produced. They dont even have any for my '01 Nissan Pulsar. The reason Haynes gives for this is because some people could still be under their 5yr extended warranty. Once that period expires, generally the manuals come flooding out. No idea why.

So you may not even be able to find a manual for yours yet other than the factory. Good luck in finding one though. I got told by one of the big wigs over here that Toyotas are 'too reliable', which is why the manuals take so long to surface...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Raddman said:
Maybe its a feature on Canadian built cars because the "key locks" always freeze in the -30F temps :yikes: ..I went to Toyota.com and built a CE and it didn't give key-less entry as a feature :confused, it said to upgrade to a LE for more options...Maybe you have an LE Guido...just kidding...Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it said....Radd~
OK I found out - Canada (I guess not the US?) has a B Package and C Package available for the CE.

B Package:
Air Conditioning, Clean Air Filter, Keyless Entry, Power Door Locks

C Package:
Air Conditioning, Clean Air Filter, Keyless Entry, Power Door Locks,
Power Windows w/Driver Side Auto Down, Cruise Control

And it's nearly impossible to find a new Corolla without A/C - so that's why all the ones I've seen have keyless entry.

There's also a B and C package for the LE, but the features are slightly different.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Definetly get the factory repair manual. My dad won't let a mechanic touch our cars so naturally he owns the repair manual for every one of them. However he does also purchase a Haynes manual because even though it is usually inaccurate, it gives information on what common tools can be used for the job. The factory manual assumes you own the complete compliment of Toyota dealer tools.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Guido said:
OK I found out - Canada (I guess not the US?) has a B Package and C Package available for the CE.

B Package:
Air Conditioning, Clean Air Filter, Keyless Entry, Power Door Locks

C Package:
Air Conditioning, Clean Air Filter, Keyless Entry, Power Door Locks,
Power Windows w/Driver Side Auto Down, Cruise Control

And it's nearly impossible to find a new Corolla without A/C - so that's why all the ones I've seen have keyless entry.

There's also a B and C package for the LE, but the features are slightly different.
I guess it is an option only in Canada, I just looked at Toyota.com for options on 06 models...~Radd

Corolla CE
$14,105 MSRP [1]

CE AVAILABLE OPTIONS AND PACKAGES
All-Weather Guard Package -- includes windshield molding, anti-chipping tape, heavy-duty heater and rear heater duct
Upgrade Package -- includes power windows and power door locks [2]
Available Options:
4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Tire Pressure Monitor [3]
Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags [4]
AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with four speakers
Cruise control

Corolla S
$15,150 MSRP [1]

S AVAILABLE OPTIONS AND PACKAGES
All-Weather Guard Package -- includes windshield molding, anti-chipping tape, heavy-duty heater and rear heater duct
Enhanced Power Package -- includes power windows, remote keyless entry system and cruise control
Extra Value Package -- includes power windows, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, 15-in. aluminum alloy wheels with P195/65R15 tires and color-keyed rear spoiler
Sport Plus Package -- includes 15-in. aluminum alloy wheels with P195/65R15 tires and color-keyed rear spoiler
Available Options:
4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Tire Pressure Monitor [3]
Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [5] [6] with Traction Control
Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags [4]
Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with six speakers

Corolla LE
$15,315 MSRP [1]

LE AVAILABLE OPTIONS AND PACKAGES
Audio Value Package -- includes AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with six speakers and cruise control
JBL® Value Package -- includes JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with eight speakers and cruise control
Leather Trim Package -- includes Pebble Beige leather-trimmed seats and headrests; door trim and steering wheel; chrome-accented parking brake and shift lever; and cruise control
Available Options:
Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [5] [6] with Traction Control
Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
15-in. aluminum alloy wheels with P195/65R15 tires

1 - 20 of 23 Posts