Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car knowing that the front part of the crankshaft pulley does not catch the belt that rotates the a/c idle pulley. However the car still runs because the pulley that rotates to the alternator still runs fine. The problem is that I have not found a replacement part for the front of the pulley. I know I can pull them from similar engines like ones from the 91 camry...however my question is that since it is just the front of the pulley does it have to be a replacement crankshaft pulley or can it be an idle pulley that I can use to replace it?

Also I have an oil leak, that seems to be coming from the side of the engine, I am going to reseal the top of the engine sometime this week but is there anything on the side opposite of the pulleys that could possibly leak oil?

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,643 Posts
If you are talking about the large pully that sits on the crankshaft a.k.a "The Harmonic balancer" then there is only one pulley that will work, and that is another harmonic balancer. I assume you are talking about a 5SFE engine here, so yes you can grab one from a camry, but i think there is another reason to why your crank pulley doesnt match up with the A/C. I would investigate further before i would go through the hassle of replacing that crank pulley.

Oil leak is almost certainly the distributor. They wear out the rubber seals quite fast.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is a picture of the pulley that i do in fact need, when I bought the car, the previous owner told me that the pulley had broken to the extent that i wouldnt turn the belt toward the a/c idle pulley and it just simply needed to be replaced with a new one that I can get from a 91 Camry that has the 5sfe engine.

I just replaced the distributor and there is no leaks there.

Should I first try to place a belt on the pulley system here and see if it works before replacing that front pulley...and as you can see in the picture the pulley that rotates the belt to the alternator is fine and has not given me any trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts