Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Why Chu Gotta Be A Douche
2006 Tacoma 4D 4WD
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a few questions that have been in the back of my mind for a while and I finally have time to ask them.

1. Every time I go WOT on my taco am I ruining the engine or is it capable of running at WOT for extended ammounts of time?

2. What's the max volume I should play my radio at where it wont hurt anything or blow a speaker? Is 45 - 50 ok? And I mean for all types of music at full bass and treble.

C. (for the sport owners) How long did your stock dunflops last you? I have 8900 miles on them mostly freeway and was wondering when I should change them.

That's all I can think of although I know there are more. Thanks ahead of time for your help and answers.

Mike
:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
(1)Didn't you see the commercial, the ran the tacoma at wot for a year without any damage:clap: Thats good enough for me.

(2) I play the stereo about 3/4 volume without distortion. I think the distortion kills the speakers.

(3) Get rid of the dunlops as soon as you pocket book can stand it.

·
2006 Tacoma 4D 4WD
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the dunlops really that bad?

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
TacomaKid06 said:
I just have a few questions that have been in the back of my mind for a while and I finally have time to ask them.

1. Every time I go WOT on my taco am I ruining the engine or is it capable of running at WOT for extended ammounts of time?

2. What's the max volume I should play my radio at where it wont hurt anything or blow a speaker? Is 45 - 50 ok? And I mean for all types of music at full bass and treble.

C. (for the sport owners) How long did your stock dunflops last you? I have 8900 miles on them mostly freeway and was wondering when I should change them.

That's all I can think of although I know there are more. Thanks ahead of time for your help and answers.

Mike
1. As long as you are regularly changing the oil and not doing it all the time it should be fine... I run it WOT all the time merging onto I95... Have too!
2. Blast away... I have played CDs at full crank and have not blown a speaker.
3. I liked the duelers on the Highway... realized they werent that bad in snow... when new and full of tread... but they are absolutly horrible in mud (VA Clay is pretty bad even w/ mud tires). I was gonna get a set of A/T's but i ended up cutting a side wall and had to buy a replacement... :disappoin (The Wife laith the hammer down upon the)
3a. But rotate em and they will last you... if you are going off road or plan too... put some A/Ts in your upcoming truck budget.

·
Registered
770 Posts

WOT will take you to the redline quickly, and you will hit the rev limiter. the rev limiter is there to protect the engine at high rpms.... theoreticly you can't blow the engine by pushing it too hard. but, i'm not gonna try and find out........

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
TacomaKid06 said:

Mike

1.) Drive it like you stole it, you won't hurt it. Hell, with an electronically controlled auto tranny, electronically controlled throttle, and a rev limiter, you'd have to do some crafty stuff to hurt it even if you were trying. Obviously there's more stress on the engine if you're really wringing it out, but it'll withstand that kind of abuse quite well.

2.) Loud music of various types seems to distort around 51+ in my experience. As mentioned before, distortion is quite hard on speakers.

3.) Dunno, somebody stabbed mine at about 9500 miles.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
if you can afford 12 mpg then go WOT.
on the radio, if you upgrade to a different head unit the sound quality will be better.

·
2006 Tacoma 4D 4WD
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll continue to get 12mpg since it won't hurt my truck, only my wallet.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
TacomaKid06 said:
Are the dunlops really that bad?
No, they aren't bad -for highway use.
Won't win any awards offroad, but they keep the rims off the asphalt. :lol:

Since I subscribe more to not replacing something if it works unless the alternative is more economical, I'll run mine 'til they are need replacement. Most jurisdictions limit it to 1/16" of tread remaining (a Lincoln penny can be used to gage the wear. If you put the top of the penny in the shallowest groove and you can see all of his head above the tread, they're done.), but I usually look for new rubber once they get below an 1/8" (at the leanest spot). [The tread wear bands on most pax tires are a good indicator too.]

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
I can play my music to about 55-60. But that's only because I have the bass turned all the way down. To tell you the truth the factory HU and speakers aren't all that bad, but I'm changing it all out in the future :rolleyes:

·
2006 Tacoma 4D 4WD
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I was surprized how nicely they sounded. I do want to replace them though. Thanks for all the replies. My tires seem to be ok for now and they have 10,350 miles on them so far, I'll run them to 15,000 and replace them no matter what. They look to be able to handel that. I'll get a lift at that time too so I can see an over all change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts