Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
The catch is it costs $1416. You could buy another 7th gen Corolla for that much.
Not in my area of the country I cannot lol of course I have not looked around but probably tis so idk

While Searching for 2 or 3 more inches of clearance without piling more of the wooden planks on top of the ramps to get the car higher, and that bendpak popped into the head

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
New EGR vacuum modulator because the original wasn't holding vacuum on the bottom port.

View attachment 329446

See this thread where someone disassembled the EGR modulator to show how the diaphragm breaks.

$78?
$204?
this item through me for a head-ached loop when i first saw the price and saw the EGR topic come up
such a novice am i
steep learning curve marches forward

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I suppose these are high grade bolts with washer for the fuel filter assembly
Have had many issues removing crusty undercover bolts with washer, they snapped in half! And had nephew carefully drill out and use thread cleaning tool that was loaned out from get in the zone to refasten it
Skittish about the fuel filter bolt snapping, too, when I get to that juncture

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts
$78?
$204?
this item through me for a head-ached loop when i first saw the price and saw the EGR topic come up
such a novice am i
steep learning curve marches forward
The EGR valve is usually not the part that causes an ERG code, but people will replace it without testing it. That's probably why I found a practically brand new Toyota one at the junkyard. So, you usually don't need to replace the $204 part. The $78 EGR modulator still might seem a little expensive, but I rationalize it by saying it should last over 100k miles. Still cheaper than a new car payment. My goal was to get my engine to almost like new reliability.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
i shall need to get one of these on my next parts order, ...got a big one to pick up next week on a trip through Iowa (refer to post #3 for update)
unless the new FPR came with a new one a couple months ago, which i don't recall if it did or not
the fuel filter did come with new gaskets included

#23280E in the diagram

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts
I think you meant 23280E.

The FPR from Toyota will come with the o-ring.

In the parts diagrams anytime you see lines going to multiple parts it means that will include all those parts. I that diagram 23280 is for the FPR and it shows 2 lines going to the FPR and the o-ring, so both are included. It also gives a separate part number for just the o-ring, so that can be ordered separately.

Sometimes the diagram will have a rectangular box drawn around many parts and a part number associated with the box. In that case that part number will include everything in the rectangle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I think you meant 23280E.

The FPR from Toyota will come with the o-ring.

In the parts diagrams anytime you see lines going to multiple parts it means that will include all those parts. I that diagram 23280 is for the FPR and it shows 2 lines going to the FPR and the o-ring, so both are included. It also gives a separate part number for just the o-ring, so that can be ordered separately.

Sometimes the diagram will have a rectangular box drawn around many parts and a part number associated with the box. In that case that part number will include everything in the rectangle.
Curious if this is you?
Crankshaft pulley bolt removal and the harmonic balancer

Something broke on my truck while out of town today and a google search led me to that from over 4 years ago

Thanks for spotting the typo, it's been fixed

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Fuel filter needs an SST
And a torque tool

... got the service manual and am trying to find what info I need with the project, operation: fuel system

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
i shall need to get one of these on my next parts order, ...got a big one to pick up next week on a trip through Iowa (refer to post #3 for update)
unless the new FPR came with a new one a couple months ago, which i don't recall if it did or not
the fuel filter did come with new gaskets included

#23280E in the diagram

View attachment 329559
Confirming that the oring is already on the FPR, new in package

Thanks for the education and understanding, everyone!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts
Fuel filter needs an SST
And a torque tool
I always try to use a torque wrench, but with the fuel system you can err on the less tight side and if it's dripping gas then tighten it up a little more.

The SST is basically a crow-foot flare wrench. You should be using flare wrenches on the brake and gas lines wherever there is a flare fitting. Some mechanics call these a "line wrench", or at least when I went in the parts store many years ago and asked about flare nut wrenches the guy said, "You mean a line wrench?". At certain angles you can fit a normal flare wrench then these crow-foot flare wrenches come in handy.

Here's one of them in action tightening the flare nut on the power steering rack, but it's in a similar position as the bottom of the fuel filter (which you can see a little above it).

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts
Here's a set at Harbor Freight that is a bit cheaper ($12.99) than the one I bought several years ago. It includes 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm which would cover all the sizes on the fuel and brake system. The AC lines may have a few bigger flare nuts than 19mm, and that may be why I got my set with the larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
That distributor oring leak going on here or wot have ye

Using this for degreaser and find minor oil leak

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Trying to figure this booger out to inspect more thoroughly top of the fuel tank for more parts needed possibly

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Toyota dealer was not helpful with the broken taco, so it sits for 16 days until small shop can get me in...

is there anybody located close enough to & handy with tools to help an old guy out??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Could be a weathered g gasket right there hanging off idk

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,088 Posts
A distributor o-ring leak would only show up as oil under the distributor. If the oil is above it then it could be from the valve cover gasket.

My 1997 repair manual diagram of the rear seat looks a little different, but I thought on all 7th gens you can pull the rear seat cushion up without tools. The cushion is only held in with 2 snap-in clips on the front side. Imagine if you were sitting in either of the rear seats. The clip would be directly between your legs where the cushion meets the metal body. So from outside the rear door wedge your hand under the seat cushion and give a tug upward and it will snap out of the clip, then repeat on the other side.

Which hose and gasket is that in the last picture? The radiator hose going to the front of the engine is on the "water outlet". The gasket between the water outlet and engine is a gasket maker type gasket where you apply the gasket from a tube then assemble and let it harden. That could just be the excess that got squeezed out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
A distributor o-ring leak would only show up as oil under the distributor. If the oil is above it then it could be from the valve cover gasket.

My 1997 repair manual diagram of the rear seat looks a little different, but I thought on all 7th gens you can pull the rear seat cushion up without tools. The cushion is only held in with 2 snap-in clips on the front side. Imagine if you were sitting in either of the rear seats. The clip would be directly between your legs where the cushion meets the metal body. So from outside the rear door wedge your hand under the seat cushion and give a tug upward and it will snap out of the clip, then repeat on the other side.

Which hose and gasket is that in the last picture? The radiator hose going to the front of the engine is on the "water outlet". The gasket between the water outlet and engine is a gasket maker type gasket where you apply the gasket from a tube then assemble and let it harden. That could just be the excess that got squeezed out.
that seems fairly straight forward for seat removal,thanks
there was old tar sands under the dist.cap running a finger under it, i wiped to see if it returns before i tear it down
gasket maker type is the word then i don't foresee any reason to undo that water outlet unless a coolant leak surfaces?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
... decisions :(

Specifications:
Attached Sump: No
Baffled Sump: Yes
Capacity: 13 Gal.
Color: Gray
Filler Neck Attached: No
Fuel Tank Coating: Paint
Height: 8.5 In.
Length: 23 In.
Lock Ring/O Ring Included: Yes
Material: Steel
Mounting Straps Included: No
Package Contents: Fuel Tank , Lock Ring, O Ring
Package Quantity: 1
Packaging Type: Box
Sending Unit Included: No
Width: 37.5 In. more details on - Dorman® - Fuel Tank

or.......

https://www.carparts.com/details/Toyota/Corolla/JC_Whitney/Fuel_Tank/1996/ARBT670102.html

which does not appear to be painted!!
and may not also include ring and fasteners

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
i wonder why an 11mm is not in that set?
Here's a set at Harbor Freight that is a bit cheaper ($12.99) than the one I bought several years ago. It includes 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm which would cover all the sizes on the fuel and brake system. The AC lines may have a few bigger flare nuts than 19mm, and that may be why I got my set with the larger sizes.

i might just be able to use that set on the truck's filter, which also needs a change after many miles
its been changed twice, back in the days of 30k worry-free maintenance packages
although several top seasoned Toyota mechanics in the recent past have told me this filter is a LIFETIME part... i can only imagine the 'stress' put on the fuel pump with a cloggy filter!

61 - 80 of 151 Posts