Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He had installed keyless entry on doors, but now that truck has sat unused for over a year, key fob doesn't work, battery is probably dead, but I can't get into cab or under hood to check it out. Suggestions would be appreciated!

·
13,508 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

You can probably hook up a jumper battery to the underside of the engine. You'll have to be careful but you can hook up the positive to the starter connection and the ground on the body. That should give it enough juice to unlock the vehicle with the key fob. ;)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Are you saying that there is no physical key at all that will work on any door? Most factory keyfobs come with a built in physical key to at least open the door, even if you can't start the car with one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You can probably hook up a jumper battery to the underside of the engine. You'll have to be careful but you can hook up the positive to the starter connection and the ground on the body. That should give it enough juice to unlock the vehicle with the key fob. ;)
Hey, thanks, that's exactly what we ended up doing!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that there is no physical key at all that will work on any door? Most factory keyfobs come with a built in physical key to at least open the door, even if you can't start the car with one.
Hi Mark. This was a special security "upgrade" that the owner had done to the truck on his own, to deter thieves, so it was something weird. See the post above from BamZipPow, to see what we did. You guys are awesome, makes me wish I owned a Toyota myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey, I'm back again with a new dilemma! We did what you said & got the door open, hood open, removed and replaced the battery, along with the connectors, got it all back together.....and nothing from engine! My brother, born 1946 is helping me out. He thought to check solenoid, but couldn't find it. Truck has sat under carport here in Hawaii (high humidity) for over a year now. Any advice for us from here???

·
13,508 Posts
Use yer multimeter to trace the power. It might take awhile but be methodical about it. I would git an electrical wiring diagram (EWD) so you'll have a good idea where to fan out from. You might be able to download it from the Toyota Techinfo website using a 48 hour account fer $20. Outside of that, you will have to go circuit by circuit to see if he might have installed a disabler in a circuit somewhere.;)

·
13,508 Posts
Giving this some more thought, I need more info. ;)

When you say nothing from the engine, what does that mean? Are you gitting power in the cab? Have you inspected and tested all of yer fuses? Did he retain the standard ignition key start? Does the instrument cluster work when you put the ignition to the ON position? Do you hear anything clicking when you turn the ignition to START? Do any other circuits work like the wipers, headlights, emergency flashers, turn signal, horn, etc? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi BZP, We checked fuses, standard ignition key start, everything lights up when key is turned, wipers, lights, horn, etc all work. No sound from under the hood at all, no clicking, no noise from solenoid. I think I'm going to have to find a local old school mechanic. Know anyone here on the big island of Hawaii? Coming here on vacation soon? The person who owned the truck left it to his son in his will. The son lives in Utah, the truck is here, and from what I can tell, auto shippers won't ship non-running vehicles. Who knew? I think the son should just sell it, but sentimental value is holding him back.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If the problem is that the starter isn't cranking the engine over, have you tried running a +12V wire directly to the solenoid? That should be enough to make the solenoid click in. And if the wiring from the battery to starter is good, you should be able to crank the engine this way.

If 12V directly to the solenoid doesn't produce at least a healthy click, you might want to remove the starter/solenoid assembly and check it out on the bench.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts