Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently heard from my friend that cutting a hole on the stock airbox is the best intake you can make/get for your car. I was just wondering if that was true or not. Anybody know about this?

I have a 99 V6 Camry

·
Layd Customs
94 Yota 2WD
419 Posts
cutting a hole in your stock airbox?? no specific size...just a hole?

doubt it

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
In the case of a Camry and a 4runner, then that is correct... It sounds better than a short pipe, and performs 2-3hp better than the stock box.

Cut some, of the bottom out of the stock airbox. Leave where the bolts go and enough for structual support.

Which no CAI setup I know of can actually match. They normally loose performance compaired to the stock box...

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Toysrme said:
In the case of a Camry and a 4runner, then that is correct... It sounds better than a short pipe, and performs 2-3hp better than the stock box.

Cut some, of the bottom out of the stock airbox. Leave where the bolts go and enough for structual support.

Which no CAI setup I know of can actually match. They normally loose performance compaired to the stock box...
Have you built your own CAI for the Camry?

I highly doubt some hole that'll let in anything flying around in your engine (ever pull a leaf out of your engine bay?) will outperform a CAI.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dude i did that hold in the airbox thing and i drilled like a 2 - 2 1/2 inch hole and all it did was maybe allow more air in....but if air did get in it was not only very little but it was also hot cuz it was by the engine, it sounded cool but nowhere near as loud as a short ram or CAI....go with the CAI haha shit man i homemade my CAI i have yet to get pics up here but yea anyway it's real easy to make a CAI for the camry i used my original short ram pipe and filter so whatever.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
You dont drill BIG holes. You drill multiple SMALL holes. And I think its called "Swiss Cheesing Your Airbox".

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
The stock airbox is CAI, and if you wanted it louder cut the bottom out!

CrawlingEye the bottom of my year old K&N filter is jsut as clean as it was the day I put it in the car... Minus a little oil, but jsut as clean. Besides, Explain to me how something is going to break *through* my automatic transmission to get into the box, I don't think so! You're in between the "If it can damage the filter by boucing it, it's too big to bounce in" and "if it's small enough to bounce in, it's too small to do damage and will just fall back down out of the box".

·
Registered
71 Posts
my CAI has colder air than your CAI!:p: :lol: plus mine is cooler and is completely sponsored by the home depot outdoor plumbing department so there! ahaha whatever i didn't realize that the stock air system has CAI i mean i saw where the pipes led to but didn't actually think it had any airFLOW it just kind of sits there an breathes in room temp air or somethin

·
Registered
440 Posts
02_SLE_6 said:
wtf... poking holes on the air box?

someone please tell me how this would work? :confused:
Drilling holes in the bottom section of your airbox iswhat they mean

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I think I'll try this to see how it works since I can't get a short ram and I can't find the materials needed to make a CAI here in Belize.

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
my CAI seems to be uber-effective.. even after the harshest of driving, my entire intake assembly is cool to the touch.. i mean- its not even warm folks... that has to be a pretty decent difference. the only downside is i have to take out the CAI and convert it to short ram if im driving in rain at all. hydrolocking my engine would not be fun :eek:

jon

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
bpcamrydude if you notice in the stock box, that's where *all* the flow enters the box. All the air for your entire engine is comming through that "little" hole! Lets you know how effective a good system with a little hole is, cause all the atermarket ones have trouble getting that level of performance LoL!

·
Registered
440 Posts
jwa276 said:
my CAI seems to be uber-effective.. even after the harshest of driving, my entire intake assembly is cool to the touch.. i mean- its not even warm folks... that has to be a pretty decent difference. the only downside is i have to take out the CAI and convert it to short ram if im driving in rain at all. hydrolocking my engine would not be fun :eek:

jon
Uh yea that thing felt like it had been outside overnight in the spring after we were doing 100+ on the highway for a few miles.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
The stock airbox isn't an actual cai, it's more of a warm-cai. It doesn't go to the well, just to the fender, about 6"'s or so away from the radiator.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mcelligott said:
Drilling holes in the bottom section of your airbox iswhat they mean
i know but how does it work?
even if the holes are tiny, wouldn't dirty air come thru and cause the TB to suck in non-cleaned air?

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
mcelligott said:
Uh yea that thing felt like it had been outside overnight in the spring after we were doing 100+ on the highway for a few miles.
ha yea! with its position its basically a shoddy RAM air system, because air moving straight through that hole in the f/b where a GS300 foglight will go is basically force feeding itself up the intake. next step is to clean out the intake from the egr mess :lol:

jon

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Guys you are thinking WAY to hard about this... Not a hard concept to understand.

Box + hole in the bottom =

Cut out more if you want, but I suggest leaving some for structural support so you don't have to ghetto tape your filter to the top of the box.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
couldn't you just put a fine mesh screen over the hole so that rocks and small debris can't get through?

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I just did this to my '93 Cam. I know it sounds a lil' louder but don't know if it feels any different. I think I'ma try the mesh over the whole idea.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts