Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always wondering why the check engine light looks the way it is. To me, it is more like a plumbing device. Does not look like an engine. If somebody can help explain the origin of the check engine light icon, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I looked around, it might come from a boat's engine. The piece on the left might be fins of the propellers. Don't know why the top is so big. Does it make sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
close 71....not a big air cleaner but a big honkin hood scoop to feed that thirsty holley 750 4-bbl carb to run the sbc at full throttle! ;-)
tony

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,633 Posts
ISO 2575 is the reason, it covers standard dashboard symbol shapes and colours, and is deliberately designed for instant recognition in all languages in all cars. Warning lights are always exaggerations/simplifications of what the actual item is - no one uses oil cans any more but the old-skool genie oil lamp icon is instantly recognisable. Same goes for the fuel gauge, bowsers have moved on from the old side-arm pump units but you instantly know what it means. An actual modern engine in silhouette doesn't exactly look like much, so the extra features (air cleaner, fan, flywheel/clutch) are exaggerated with the rest of the block simplified so a quick sideways glance is all that is needed to recognise it, especially if it just flicked on and off in your peripheral vision.

Future generations will probably wonder why the CEL looks nothing like the tiny electric motor under the bonnet, much in the same way that millennials stare in amazement at a 3.5" floppy disc and go "wow, someone 3D-printed the Save icon"

Also, chuck an pan-style air cleaner on top of a BMC A-series engine (aka the Mini) and you've got a pretty close representation

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
I love posts like this.

That engine is as simple as it can go. Now try compare that to the something modern like the 2GR or the turbo 2.0L...

·
Administrator
14,392 Posts
Reactions: tedmich and mcgowaw

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
do the newer cars really have 'dirty air filter' warning lights?
the one that really got me was the brake light failure warning light...
cracked me up cause it made me think of an episode of big bang theory...
[ darn, now i'm thinking about trains ;-) ]
tony

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,633 Posts
do the newer cars really have 'dirty air filter' warning lights?
Could be for trucks etc, they have gauges and warning lights for everything under the sun.

All it will be is a vacuum sensor in the intake piping, pretty simple setup actually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.