Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Venxa XLE, Blueprint with Black Softex imterior
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a happy new Venza owner and new forum member with a quick tire question. We took delivery of our blueprint/black softex Venza earlier this week. We love the car, but living in western NY and having just read the Tirerack review of the Bridgestone Ecopia tire, I'm wondering how these OE tires will cope with our winter driving conditions. The area we live in doesn't get a lot of snow(compared to Rochester or Buffalo) but our driveway is 265 ft long with a fair grade in parts. Given the 19" tires and our relatively light snow conditions, I really don't want to get dedicated snow tires. I'm interested in the new generation "snow peak/3 season" type tire, but before I kick 4 Ecopia tires with 500 miles on them to the curb, I'm wondering what experience other forum members have had with the Ecopia tires in snow condition. Thanks in advance for your help.

i'

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited - Blizzard Pearl with Aurora Gazer roof and NAV/JBL package
26 Posts
I suggest you try the OEM tires through this winter unless you have black ice conditions. If you do have black ice, get these off ASAP. My test drive was on a day with black ice (heavy frost on otherwise black pavement). Frightening. No traction at all. I took delivery on the car only after dedicated ice/snow tires were installed (Michelin X-ICE SNOW). I will use the OEM tires during the warm seasons.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
388 Posts
I'm a happy new Venza owner and new forum member with a quick tire question. We took delivery of our blueprint/black softex Venza earlier this week. We love the car, but living in western NY and having just read the Tirerack review of the Bridgestone Ecopia tire, I'm wondering how these OE tires will cope with our winter driving conditions. The area we live in doesn't get a lot of snow(compared to Rochester or Buffalo) but our driveway is 265 ft long with a fair grade in parts. Given the 19" tires and our relatively light snow conditions, I really don't want to get dedicated snow tires. I'm interested in the new generation "snow peak/3 season" type tire, but before I kick 4 Ecopia tires with 500 miles on them to the curb, I'm wondering what experience other forum members have had with the Ecopia tires in snow condition. Thanks in advance for your help.
You do realize the 3PMS logo means it's winter (snow and ice capable), right? I think you meant "All-weather tires" that have the 3PMS.

I can only comment on Nokians WR series tires, which are quite capable year around. Haven't tried the Michelin CrossClimates, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Toyo Celcius, Firestone WeatherGrip, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts

i'
I think it is very risky for you. I am on the opposite side of the border and we switched to BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT (see tirerack). They are 'severe snow' rated. My wife loves them. She drove through a bad snow and ice storm a week ago and said they were great. I had a little debate with our dealer before we purchased the car; I told him Toyota should not be putting that Ecopia (19") tire on in Canada or northern USA and htat it had to be done as part of the purchase agreement.

·
Registered
2021 Venxa XLE, Blueprint with Black Softex imterior
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, that negotiation would never happen with a Toyota dealer in the US. I was fortunate that my local tire dealer gave me $100/tire trade-in and I went with Continental True Contact Tour tires. They're not "3 peak" rated but scored well in their. snow traction according to Tire Rack. Since we're normally in FL from January to mid-March (though not this year thanks to Covid) they should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately, that negotiation would never happen with a Toyota dealer in the US. I was fortunate that my local tire dealer gave me $100/tire trade-in and I went with Continental True Contact Tour tires. They're not "3 peak" rated but scored well in their. snow traction according to Tire Rack. Since we're normally in FL from January to mid-March (though not this year thanks to Covid) they should be fine.
I am happy you did what I did and changed them at the dealer. If enough of us do this, Toyota will put a different tire on in cold climate regions. I had the same issue with a 2016 Mazda6 and my wife's Audi Q3. The manufacturers put the tires out to bid and often end up accepting a locally made tire that has really bad specs.

I am in the USA right now. I love your country; went to university here many decades ago. Let's get over this covid problem ASAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am happy you did what I did and changed them at the dealer. If enough of us do this, Toyota will put a different tire on in cold climate regions. I had the same issue with a 2016 Mazda6 and my wife's Audi Q3. The manufacturers put the tires out to bid and often end up accepting a locally made tire that has really bad specs.

I am in the USA right now. I love your country; went to university here many decades ago. Let's get over this covid problem ASAP.
Unfortunately, OE tires do nothing well. Enjoy your time in the US in your great new Venza!

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
388 Posts

If you lived in Germany, your wife's Q3 would be equipped with summer tires from the factory and in the winter, it would be your responsibility to equip the car appropriately for winter.

·
Registered
2021 Venza Limited Titanium Glow
15 Posts
I got rid of the Ecopias muy pronto...In this climate/weather that tire is a disaster waiting to happen...Went with the New Firestone Destination L-3...That tire is brand new design ...so we will see how that one works...so far excellent grip and rides very nice...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts