Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings TN,

Noob here,
thought I would make my first post a sort of poll.
I was wondering what the camry hedz thought are the top 5 performance upgrades? ( for any catagory; suspension, engine, body, interior etc.) Specifically in terms of the most needed/ greatest improvement over stock?

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
I guess this is different and you can't tell him to search....
but my list would go like this

In no particular order....

1. Turbo or S/c
2. Springs and struts/ coilovers
3. Sway bar and Strut tower
4. CF hood, trunk, everything. It makes stuff light so i guess i could be performance....
5. Engine Rebuild

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
1. Suspension
2. Power
3. Brakes
4. Interior Pimpness
5. Exterior Pimpness
So, i don't get it. Is he polling for performance or just overall? Because he wrote
for any catagory; suspension, engine, body, interior
Interior and body don't give performance.... :confused:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
1. Nasty Turbo Kit (maybe a Garrett 35R)
2. Full 2'5" Mandrel bent Custom Exhaust
3. Coilovers
4. Standalone
5. Lightweight Rims w/ Drag Radials

That would be a sick Cam

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CamNub said:
So, i don't get it. Is he polling for performance or just overall? Because he wrote Interior and body don't give performance.... :confused:
I meant just about ANY performance mod, or anything that makes it: go faster, stop better, ride better, handle better, look better, sound better etc.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UfoZ8myCow said:
Sure they do... A good, functional body kit will help with a car's aerodynamics as well as direct air into intercoolers, intakes, and to the brakes. Not to mention that CF pieces are lighter, and lighter is better. And on the interior, same thing... I would rather be strapped into a Sparco for a few hot laps around the track over my stock seats. That and both of my Sparcos combined weigh less than 3/4 of one stock seat. Gauges help you keep tabs on whats going on with your engine... Etc etc, that's what I meant when I said that.
EXACTLY.
I agree on the stock seats sucking aswell, and that the cam could lose some weight for sure.
Oh, and dude your cam is freakin' PIMP :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree again, too bad Im one of the people with a slow car:disappoin
But I just got it a couple months ago and been too busy to do much. I do have a K&N drop in, denso plugs w/magnecor wires,
and a hypervoltage system, but shes still just n/a 5fse. From what I have seen on these forums the way to go is forced induction of some type. Now if I could just get the $........

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
It's stupid without setting a budget. Just pick all custom work...

Here's what I would do in order on a v6 with a non-turbo budget:
1) *free intake mod* (cut out the bottom of the box)
2) Rear sway bar
3) Front tower brace
4) Ported & polished heads (with an egr blockoff)
5) Programmable engine management post head work. (Unichip/SMT)

Which is basically what I have done right now... There are a lot of fun little tricks you can do for power with fully programmable piggybacks without sacrificing everything you have to do to run standalone ecu's.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
1. Suspension
My hero :loove:

I'm going to go Mod specific.

1. Coil overs
2. Sway Bars (front and rear upgrades)
3. Racing Tires
4. Strut Tower Brace
5. Brakes

And seats are a MAJOR upgrade when racing. Even ask brink, a good harness will cut seconds (or 4 seconds in his case) off your time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what is the going rate/ fair price to pay for a 1mz V6?
You just dont see 3rd/4th gen toyota camrys at your local picknpull, The dealer salvage yards are outrageous, and I never see any parting out locally. What about imported, Is there a difference from a JDM 1mz to a USDM 1mz?

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Stickers add a lot. Each sticker you add to your car adds about 50hp. I think I'm gonna go put some Post Its on my car... the aerodynamics from the flopping on those yellow tabs should make it go like no other...

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
JDM 3vz and 1mz will have no EGR system. There shouldn't be a change in performance. The performance gains if any on a JDM Toyota engine is due to lax emissions.

Just make SURE you get the correct 1mz as far as the "valve trickery" goes. as the engines Toyota used JDM differ GREATLY from year to year than they did in the US Spec equivalants.

Let's face it. They used the 3vz-fe in some markets until '97, they had the 2.5L 2mz-fe, and they still don't sell the 3mz-fe in parts of the Asian market.

I suggest doing your homework if you're buying a JDM engine from Canada.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DarkMastyr said:
Stickers add a lot. Each sticker you add to your car adds about 50hp. I think I'm gonna go put some Post Its on my car... the aerodynamics from the flopping on those yellow tabs should make it go like no other...
lol...
and dont forget those little led washer sprayers, those add an easy 10 hp.:lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Toysrme said:
JDM 3vz and 1mz will have no EGR system. There shouldn't be a change in performance. The performance gains if any on a JDM Toyota engine is due to lax emissions.

Just make SURE you get the correct 1mz as far as the "valve trickery" goes. as the engines Toyota used JDM differ GREATLY from year to year than they did in the US Spec equivalants.

Let's face it. They used the 3vz-fe in some markets until '97, they had the 2.5L 2mz-fe, and they still don't sell the 3mz-fe in parts of the Asian market.

I suggest doing your homework if you're buying a JDM engine from Canada.
So I gather it is probably not worth the trouble to go JDM, for the V6
thanks

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
i know just what you need...
http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/mycoffeecan/page1.html

in all honesty... set your goals first, then decide if you can pay for it, then decide if you can do the time and the work... this is the only way to start...

otherwise, you will start like every other noob...
1. audio
2. tints, neons, other ricey shit
3. rims
then you start to realize that you did it all wrong and wish you planned it out first without wasting your money on this shit...
you will then start to get minor performance mods...
4. intake
5. lowering springs (prolly have blown struts by now, which you dont care about cause the car is slammed)
6. ricey muffler
now you really know you are headed in the wrong direction and you start to think about actually forming a plan...

if anyone seriously has goals and something in mind, feel free to PM me or AIM me, i will help anyone who is serious.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
yotacam98 said:
So I gather it is probably not worth the trouble to go JDM, for the V6
thanks
It is if you want a really low mileage engine. Besides, from the research I've done you can get a JDM engine cheaper than a US one from a junkyard hah!

IMHO there is just no point to buying an engine that is "non performance" for it's performance. if I were buying a high output turbo motor I'd buy JDM for performance on top of the low miles.

For our v6, the only real reason to do it is cost, and it's more common for them to have lower miles.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
the usdm 1mz-fe v6 is fine... especially if your emmissions is strict. even though the jdm motors have less emissions hardware on them, they actually run cleaner. odd that they dont use the same technology here...

you will find usdm motors much cheaper. power is comparable. If you want to take off the egr system and all the stuff that the jdm motor lacks, you can do it. just make sure you dont live in CA. :)

www.car-part.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey Zoni, that link is freakin hilarious,lol from those pics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts