Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a testament to how unbelievably tough these pickups are....

My father bought a 89 2WD MTX base pickup new, I remember him driving it home and seeing his cool new truck. Used as a workhorse for not only hauling, but travel between Kings Bay, GA and Hampton, VA about twice a month. My sister learned to drive in this truck, as did I. The only major accident it has seen was when my sister was learning to drive and not realizing that without power steering she need to right the steering wheel, she drove into a pole. A junkyard fender later and alittle primer, the truck was none the wiser. Many trips and lots of rust later, my dad bought a new truck. With 203,000k miles on the odometer my father sold the truck to my sisters husband for $500. Already having 2 cars he drove it into his garage in May of 2001 and there it sat. Collecting dust. Wasting away. Until today. My sister is moving and cleaning up to do so and figured that she would just give the truck to the boneyard. I told my sister that I wanted the truck. She replied that it wouldnt run, as it hasnt been out of the garage or turned over in 5 years. I went to walmart, got a battery and some starter fluid and popped the hood. I put in the new battery and just for giggles tried to turn the car over. It cranked for about 3 seconds and fired right up. I shut it down, changed the oil and plugs. It started right back up and drove 5 miles to the gas station, where I filled it up. It drives like it was parked yesterday. It trully amazed me sisnce most cars left to sit that long need much more than a new battery to turn over after being neglected like that, not to mention it has 203,000 on it, those internals are worn.

Funny thing is, Im almost convinced that this car has 200,000 more miles in it.

Now I need to swap out that old AM/FM stereo with some new wave technology...:)

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
Now that's Moving you forward! Dont you just love the old skool trucks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it had cork gaskets they would probably be dry and leak eventually, I wonder how long the form in place gaskets will last. Keep us updated.

·
Bring On The MUD!!!!!
'83 Pickup SR5
2,334 Posts
now u see why we pride ourselves in knowing that we drive the best pickups around. even if that truck does have an extra 200,000 on it, u still got at least another 200,000 left in it!

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Yotas Pickups Are Great Trucks. Mine Never Lets Me Down It May Throw A Fit Sometimes But She Always Keeps Me From Walking Or Giving Up On Her. She Maybe Old But She Can Still Pak A Punch. And Turn Some Heads...

·
yota rider
pickup yota
15 Posts
i would not doubt it would go another 200,000 my friends dad's yota has 356,xxx and he still drives it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I drove it all day today, sometimes it seems like it doesnt want to start but I put some carb cleaner in it and the tank so well see how she fairs. Im really no good with carbs(all FI here!) but im sure if that time comes ill find help. Id like to not replace anything as the whole thing is original(minus a clutch at 160,xxx) and it boggles my mind as hard of a life as this thing has it still gets up and goes. I do hear a lifter tick im pretty sure, but nothing a flush and a quart of ATF in the crankcase cant cure im sure. I have heard that the valves need adjusting every so often on these trucks, I cant remember where I saw ,i think on here- and that might be the prob. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
If it's the 22R-E engine, you need to check valve adjustment every 30K miles.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts