Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, but can the Overdrive cover on the A140e transmission be removed in the car (1988 Camry)? I ask because the person that rebuilt the transmission for me did not install the gasket correctly and it's leaking like a sieve.

I'd love to be able to put a new gasket on that pan while it's still in the car, but I can't see a way to do it without pulling the whole transmission.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
Do you mean the cover on the opposite side from the motor? If so, you should be able to do it in the engine bay. You will probably have to remove the top transmission mount and lower it down to access everything you need and give you space to pull the cover off. Obviously you will have to support the engine/trans assembly while you do it.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Please read the entire post before proceeding:
In order to remove side cover you will need to remove following items (I did this on the junk yard):
Both cross members
Sway bar with reinforcement plates and control arms

battery
intake tube with AFM
transmission mount
Use bar on the top or jack under transmission pan to support the transmission side
The transmission need to go down about 3 inches
In addition to gasket you will need to get 2 “gaskets” (they look like small seals) for o/d clutch and brake hydraulic pressure passages.
At the time of removal the overdrive gear assembly with intermediate shaft will come out with the cover
This is what you will see after cover removal (cover the hole when cleaning gasket surface):

Put ultra-blue RTV sealant on the bolt threads
Rent small torque wrench from Autozone and torque the bolts to 18 foot-pounds in clockwise pattern starting from the upper bolts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The source of the leak was that the outside cover gasket had apparently slipped downward and was pinched when the transmission rebuilder installed it. Whoops! Basically the fluid was seeping (pretty rapidly!) from the top of the cover plate whenever the transmission was in gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.