Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1990 Camry V6 2.5L with Auto A540E. Was wondering if this tranny can be replaced from below without pulling the engine. My Chilton Manual suggests that the motor must come out. Help is appreciated.
Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Engine removal, transmission removal

Howdy,

I've asked the same question because the 'book' says you need to but this is what I've seen and heard.

The rear of engine is supported by the transmission, so if you drop the gear box the engine has no back side support.

I was in someone's shop and they had a device that held the engine in place while the gearbox is removed, sort of a small "a" frame that fit over the engine with the hood up and the car could be moved around after gearbox removal. Less elaborate, but not being able to move the car/truck around would be to block it up;not on the oil pan though.

Just some thoughts and observations, I've not tried either method. May try it one day because I'm considering swaping my A/T for a manual 5sp gear box.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,195 Posts
Yea I have seen it too. I also saw some online tutorial on installed a new clutch or something and to remove the transmission he held up the engine with some wood and a jack. And then he held the transmission with a jack as well. Then he unbolted the tranny from the engine and lowered the tranny to work on it.

You can do it but your gonna need a couple of jacks, and some REALLY HIGH jack stands.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
if anything, the problem would be getting the tranny back in and getting it all aligned properly afterwards...but even then, it'd still be easier than taking the engine out too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.