Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Not so Noob now!
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I (mostly) lost reverse in my 90 Lexus ES250 with 160k. The ATF fluid is burnt and the trans dosn't downshift normally when you go from D to 2 or 1. (no engine braking downhill). However it seems to work normally otherwise. I pulled the pan and did not discover any large shavings or other debris that would indicate a catastophic failure.

The big question here is: What is involved in a DIY repair on these trannys & with these particular symptoms. Also what parts in the tranny am I going to need to replace if I attemt this.

Or if you have any other insights on what to do, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Look locally for tran remanufacturer ($900 - $1200). To get a tran rebuilt costs more. Maybe able to get one at scrap yard but you don't know what condition its in.
Is the mesh filter in your pan clean? It's a little pick up for fluid. Someone posted here that they were clearing it often, changing fluid way often but it kept his tran running.
No downshift and no reverse read different problems on what I heard. Could be mechanical as well as electronic.
I am suffering the dreaded vibration, but I am hoping it makes it into next year so I can afford to swap mine out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.