Premium Member
2015 Sienna / 2018 RAV4
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks Fibber2 for posting this!

So what to do now? I haven't heard any squeak so far but I guess it's a matter of time? If the rear trailing arm bushing is defective, shouldn't Toyota replace it at owner's request, regardless of whether there is symptom or not?

·
Registered
'17 HL, '09 Corolla
209 Posts
Thanks so much for posting Fibber2! Much appreciated!

I haven't noticed or been able to recreate the squeak that I heard that one weekend (Wife's primary vehicle so I don't drive it much). Might be that its finally warmer out now, but it is definitely something that I will keep an eye on! I'll file this TSB away for the time being and pull it out if the squeak returns.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,309 Posts
So what to do now? I haven't heard any squeak so far but I guess it's a matter of time? If the rear trailing arm bushing is defective, shouldn't Toyota replace it at owner's request, regardless of whether there is symptom or not?
You have to have symptoms listed. Dealer tech has to verify issue exists. In otherwords, its not an automatic fix. TAs aren't all defective. So far mine are ok.

·
Newb
Prius + Highlander
55 Posts
Thanks for posting! I wasn't aware of this issue until my wife took her Highlander in for the 15K service. We had noticed the squeeking/rubbing noise from the rear and mentioned it to the dealer. Surprisingly they told her they needed to replace the control arms! This TSB explains why.

Glad we didn't have to argue with the dealer to get it done like some people in other threads discussion suspension noises.

·
WTFk
HL, Prius, 325i
104 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I noticed something like this here and there for the past few weeks. Think I've only notice it when the stereo is not on or at a very low volume. It does sound like a squeak from the rear suspension.

Will probably bring this up during the 5K service. I have a couple of warranty items I want to bring up as well.

·
Registered
2014 HL Hybrid Lmtd
237 Posts
I had my rear control arms replaced last year and they are starting to squeak again. I dont know what will happen as I am out of the manufacturers warranty. Heads up to other members.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,309 Posts
I had my rear control arms replaced last year and they are starting to squeak again. I dont know what will happen as I am out of the manufacturers warranty. Heads up to other members.
I assume your TA's replaced under oem warr. When it expired, no more warr. coverage? But...
Curious if u or someone else knows....Lets say "For Example"...TA's or other covered parts replaced 6 mo before oem warr. expires. Does that mean no warr. on those parts/labor after 3/36 expires? Tnx.

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
541 Posts
Thanks Fibber2 for posting this!

Remember, just because that bushing squeaks doesn't mean it's defective. We haven't noticed this, and have 20,000 miles on our HL.

·
Custom User Title
511 Posts
I'm at 25,000 miles and no sound of squeaking. should I still take it for a service to perform the TSB?

·
Registered
2014 HL Hybrid Lmtd
237 Posts
I assume your TA's replaced under oem warr. When it expired, no more warr. coverage? But...
Curious if u or someone else knows....Lets say "For Example"...TA's or other covered parts replaced 6 mo before oem warr. expires. Does that mean no warr. on those parts/labor after 3/36 expires? Tnx.
The TA replaced it under warranty and that was over 12 months ago. I hear it happening again, but I am past the OEM warranty on the vehicle, so no idea if they will replace it under the original warranty as it was a TA and still did not fix the issue. Will see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome that they came out with this TSB way after my warranty expired.

·
Newb
Prius + Highlander
55 Posts
Update

An update on my situation, after having the arms replaced once, we recently had the noise start again. Sure enough the bushings were failing again. They replaced the control arms with another new part number. This must be the 3rd revision of these arms. Hopefully they got the design right this time and these last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Trailing Arms on my 2014 Highlander were replaced after making the squeaking noise at roughly 30K and again at 60k miles. First time was covered under factory warranty and second time under extended warranty. I did notice the part numbers were different each time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was a good day for finding new TSB's! If you've been driven crazy by rear suspension noise, this might be your ticket to a cure.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o7bqxnb1nkci865/T-SB-0211-17_Highlander_rear_suspension_squeak.pdf
Thank you so much!! Just spoke to the dealer and the Toyota extended 8 year platinum warranty people and they kept giving me the usual non committal run around that they'll have to inspect it and if it's mechanically defective then they'll change it.

Based on this PDF document just making noise alone will be enough that i shouldn't be worried about a crazy $132 inspection fee if they decide the part is fine. Printing this out and booking my appointment. :D

·
Registered
20 Corolla SE 6MT sedan, 10 Camry 16 Highland
168 Posts
Just had TSB 0211-17 done to our 2016 Highlander. Rear suspension squeak. So far, so good.

·
Registered
17 Highlander LE AWD
2 Posts
I have a 2017 HL LE/AWD w/14k miles and I do have the squeaky sound coming from the rear suspension going over speed bumps. Took the car to the dealer today and ride with tech to verify the squeaky noise. Tech checked suspension and told me that they need to replace and order parts for the rear suspension, but did not specify detail. They will call me when parts are in.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
One thing to consider is aftermarket bushings. Toyota OEM bushings are probably just made of rubber. A better bushing is polyurethane bushings. My 98 Pathfinder had the same issue....early failure of control arm bushings. Before I replaced them I did some research. Dealer wanted $800 for parts only...but that included the control arms. They didn't sell the bushings separate. Then everyone who replaced their bushings all recommended the polyurethane bushings. Lasted twice as long and no more squeaks. So I bought the bushings for $100 (set of 4). Removed control arms...then took to a machine shop who removed old bushings and pressed in new ones. That cost me another $100...but still far cheaper then the $800 dealer cost.

·
Newb
Prius + Highlander
55 Posts
Guess what? The noise is back. Looks like the new trailing arm part numbers didn't solve the problem... Back to the dealer...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts