Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Guess what? The noise is back. Looks like the new trailing arm part numbers didn't solve the problem... Back to the dealer...
It honestly doesn't surprise me. Mine has the same issue and it's more than likely a design deficiency. I've just resorted to lubricating the trailing arm bushings at each oil change. No more noises.

·
Registered
20 Corolla SE 6MT sedan, 10 Camry 16 Highland
168 Posts
Guess what? The noise is back. Looks like the new trailing arm part numbers didn't solve the problem... Back to the dealer...
It honestly doesn't surprise me. Mine has the same issue and it's more than likely a design deficiency. I've just resorted to lubricating the trailing arm bushings at each oil change. No more noises.
How are you lubricating them, and what are you using for lubricant? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the squeak / creak addressed over the summer, and the sound has just returned. Going to head back to the dealer to have them replaced again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How are you lubricating them, and what are you using for lubricant? Thanks in advance!
Use a silicone lubricant and spray the bushing around where the bolt hole goes through it. I also spray the open areas since when it flexes it'll touch each other as well. Takes less than 5mins and no sounds since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does this cover noise from going over speed bumps? I don't drive on uneven grounds often and only time I hear squeak is when I go over speed bumps.

·
Registered
20 Corolla SE 6MT sedan, 10 Camry 16 Highland
168 Posts
Does this cover noise from going over speed bumps? I don't drive on uneven grounds often and only time I hear squeak is when I go over speed bumps.
Yes, that's when we heard it, and the stealership took it over a speed bump, heard it, and replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
16' HL Limited
117 Posts
bringing this back alive...just lubed mine and it's totally silent for now. mine is a 16' with a (bod)of 11/15...no question this is a flaw would love to know how far into newer production HL's this goes.

ps....it was at least 2yrs or so before I started hearing the noise so it must be once it "wears" to a point it starts to squeak.

·
Registered
202 Posts
bringing this back alive...just lubed mine and it's totally silent for now. mine is a 16' with a (bod)of 11/15...no question this is a flaw would love to know how far into newer production HL's this goes.

ps....it was at least 2yrs or so before I started hearing the noise so it must be once it "wears" to a point it starts to squeak.
Can you describe or even supply a picture of the trailing arm bushing to lubricate? I took a look around underneath and wasn't sure what to lubricate to fix the noise. Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was experiencing the loud clunk or thunk sound in the rear when reversing. Brought it in and it seems that a coupler is not freeing up. The techs then also found a squeak noise in the rear and are fixing that by replacing the rear control arms. Thank goodness I caught it all under warranty, or else it'd be a $3,800 repair.

My work order attached.

·
Registered
16' HL Limited
117 Posts
Can you describe or even supply a picture of the trailing arm bushing to lubricate? I took a look around underneath and wasn't sure what to lubricate to fix the noise. Thanks.
the RTA bushing is right in front of the rear wheels you can't miss it. just spray the entire area concentrating where the bushing is at. it immediately stopped, and I knew this would be it as when it rained the wet roads would make it disappear or when I washed the car's under belly. forgot to mention use a silicone spray lubricant as this won't hurt the rubber bushing.

Reactions: Dave2017H

·
Registered
202 Posts
the RTA bushing is right in front of the rear wheels you can't miss it. just spray the entire area concentrating where the bushing is at. it immediately stopped, and I knew this would be it as when it rained the wet roads would make it disappear or when I washed the car's under belly. forgot to mention use a silicone spray lubricant as this won't hurt the rubber bushing.
Got it! I was looking underneath and never thought to look in front of the wheel on the side. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just curious, how did you make out with the noise? Did spraying the bushings help? Thanks. I'm currently dealing with the same thing on my 2014 HL.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just curious, how did you make out with the noise? Did spraying the bushings help? Thanks. I'm currently dealing with the same thing on my 2014 HL.
The creaking noise went away so I didn't spray it. Maybe the noise is more obvious during the colder winter months. When and if it starts creaking again I'll spray the bushing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It comes up whenever the suspension has to “flex” or comes to a sharp bump. Mine is more a cracking sound or farting sound. Didn’t know that this was a widespread issue. Thank you for the post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use a silicone lubricant and spray the bushing around where the bolt hole goes through it. I also spray the open areas since when it flexes it'll touch each other as well. Takes less than 5mins and no sounds since.
Having this same problem. Dealer wants to replace the entire trailing arm, at nearly $1,200. If possible, I'd rather apply some lubrication and see if the problem (and noise!) goes away. I think I have located the bushing in question. Is there a certain type or brand of silicone lubricant spray that you recommend? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Having this same problem. Dealer wants to replace the entire trailing arm, at nearly $1,200. If possible, I'd rather apply some lubrication and see if the problem (and noise!) goes away. I think I have located the bushing in question. Is there a certain type or brand of silicone lubricant spray that you recommend? Thank you in advance!
maybe this will help:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anybody had this on newer models that aren't under this TSB? I have a 2019 HL and it is something I've been hearing for some time. Go over speed bumps (best way to hear it) and you hear the creaking and groaning. At first, I thought it was coming from inside the car, but the more I hear it, the more it sounds like it is coming from the back suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What silicone lubricant product should we use?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts