Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! i have one general question about alternator. Beceause i thing my alternator can't make enought power for my car. Two days ago, i have disconnected my fog light and after that my headlight,interior lighting was more bright and the RPM is more slow (like 500 rpm) and my whiper run more quickly. An other thing, my battery need to be recharged one or two time per month (and the dealer say: "you have only to recharge it, the battery is good!) ... I have some accessories in my car

1- Alpine Head Unit + iPod adapter
2- GPS with external reciever
3- Cell phone complete kit with antenna booster
4- 9005 + 9006 Silverstar
5- Silverstar Fog Light

How i can know if my alternator make enought power for my car ? If not, i have to change it? Like a police car :lol:

So, thanks alot

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Take it somewhere and have it tested. You can take to autozone or somewhere similar and have it tested> or take it to a mehcanic and they can load test it on the car. If you are having to charge the battery like you say it would sound as if it is not charging correctly in the first place and would need to be replaced possibly. Most of the stuff you say you ahve added is not really going to add that much drain to the charging system while it is running.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
If after testing out your alternator, as Chris suggested, you find it to be defective, try to find an alternator/generator/starter rebuilder in your area. Check the phone book or do a Google search. Chances are good they can rebuild your current alternator and bump it up a few amps too. This may give you the peace of mind you seem to be looking for and it should cost about the same as buying a rebuilt alternator off of the shelf at some auto parts store.

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys! But if my alternator is defective ... Why the charge circuit malfunction indicator does not lit on?

Thanks!!!

David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have called at a alternator shop and for rebuilt my one is approx 160$ CAN. But i have to remove my alternator by myself. How many time i can drive without it ? (all acc off and the DRL fuse removed)

·
Registered
48 Posts
ive had my alternator go out on me on my explorer
i was on the highway and basically as soon as i got off the highway car is dead.
i would say it depends on your battery.
i wouldnt recomend it.
give junkyards a call, see how much for alternator.
$160 is kinda pricey u didnt happen to call parts source and canadian tire did u?
try to call a small independent shop. just look in the yellow book.

nvm i called the cheapest place i know in town and they wanted 165+tax
god damn :(

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
The alternators on the v6's are just like 80Amp alternators. Lord knows with all my stuff in mine the lights dim and such when the bass hits.

I know for us 1MZ-FE guys, there's a solution. I'm not sure if it works for all the V6's though..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ALTERNATOR TEST RESULTS:

a specialized shop made a complete test of the charging system and the alternator output on the 3VZ-FE is 100 amp ... (tested)... the culprit in this story is the battery! I will change it in few days ...

Thanks for help guys !

·
Registered
52 Posts
dstlaurent said:
i have called at a alternator shop and for rebuilt my one is approx 160$ CAN. But i have to remove my alternator by myself. How many time i can drive without it ? (all acc off and the DRL fuse removed)
If you take your alternator off, you'll be driving off the battery, and that will be a very short distance. Just take the alternator off and use another car or have someone drive you to the shop.

I had the same problem back in the late 80's. Changed out my alternator 2 times before I figured out there was a problem with the wiring in the harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.