Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 5speed is making the buzz again from the bad bearings. I had it rebuilt at 135k and now I have 180k. I really don't want to waste any more money on transmissions, what should I do? Can I use an 04 tranny or xrs?

·
Registered
Toyota Highlander
30 Posts
I have a 04 with a bad bearing on the output shaft, which means a complete rebuld of the trans, I was wondering if your corolla was the same problem I have right know. It was making a roaring noise at about 40-60 mph, push in the clutch it would stop.
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. I guess the problem wasn't fixed in 04 either. I'm looking for a viable long-term solution to this as I don't want to keep replacing the transmission. Selling it may be the best answer.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
WOW. That really seems like low mileage to need a rebuild... especially the second time. Are you guys running synthetic fluids?

·
Registered
Toyota Highlander
30 Posts
I only got 168,000km on it, and its highway km, i use it for going to work, very disapointed with this issue , I went to 5 different trans places, and they all told it was very common issue with the 5 speed, and even the honda civic is has the same isue. There will be a nice letter going of to toyota head office in canada. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to have my 2003 5spd transmission replaced as well. The dealership told me that the whole transmission was bad, they didn't say why. It had 123,000 on it. I raised some stink with Toyota but didn't get anywhere. Here is my problem. I opted to have a new transmission put in. My cousin, toyota mechanic in texas, told me to have them put in a 6spd matrix transmission because they match up. The toyota dealer wouldn't do it and he said they don't match up. He ASSURED ME that the transmission they were putting in was the same one as the original and nothing was changed in it. I told him why would I want the same tranny if this one went at 123. He said it was probably just a fluke and that this is the same tranny. After the new one was put in I took a look at it and surprisingly the new tranny they put in takes up less space than the original tranny. Hmmmmmmm anyone with half a brain would think that something was up. The assurance that the same tranny was put in wasn't fooling me. I told the guy and I was pretty well brushed off as being stupid. I don't think I'd go to a toyota dealer to have the transmission redone. I talked to my dads neighbor who worked for a transmission place and he said toyota is full of shit. He said the transmission could be rebuilt and that this one they put in was different than the original. I think you should keep your options open and take it to a person who deals with tranny's all the time. Good luck. I hope mine doesn't go the second time around that soon. I'm at 183K right now. I'll let everyone know what my results are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts