Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey from north of Toronto, everyone! My next vehicle will be a 2003-08 Corolla that's well-maintained as my next daily commuter vehicle. I was looking at the Avalon and Camry, but came to my senses when I realized that I don't want to ever have a car payment again!

Awesome to be here! I look forward to learning a ton from you folks.

Greetings from the Muskoka area of Ontario, Canada (Closer to Orillia, technically)! Totally pumped to pay cash for a Toyota that will last me several years and keep my hard-earned $$ in the bank (by not having a car payment with interest or a gas guzzler).

- Jeff

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,779 Posts
Hey from north of Toronto, everyone! My next vehicle will be a 2003-08 Corolla that's well-maintained as my next daily commuter vehicle. I was looking at the Avalon and Camry, but came to my senses when I realized that I don't want to ever have a car payment again!

Awesome to be here! I look forward to learning a ton from you folks.

Greetings from the Muskoka area of Ontario, Canada (Closer to Orillia, technically)! Totally pumped to pay cash for a Toyota that will last me several years and keep my hard-earned $$ in the bank (by not having a car payment with interest or a gas guzzler).

- Jeff
Welcome to TN!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to likely buy the base model and automatic, since my wife's car is a manual and though I've driven across Canada and back in a manual, it's not my style. If I can get a higher-"luxury" model I will, but the #1 & 2 concerns for me are reliability and fuel economy (I drive roughly 60,000 kilometers per year as my work commute is an hour each way).

I'll get the newest one I can for around $5000-6000 Canadian dollars (paying cash) when the time comes.

I will have to get an updated MP3 sound system put in....that is a must.

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
170 Posts
Welcome!! I'm from Toronto and 5-6K should get you something nice. About 10 years ago I bought mine for $10,400 incl tax but that was then. Very reliable!

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,779 Posts
There is what's called an S and S plus.

The S (base) is basically a stripped down S plus. What it's missing are power windows, sunroof, spoiler, and multi disc cd player. Has the sporty styled body kit and black interior. Not too many were built, but all models has the 1zz power train. So, the mpg's will be close between ce, s and le.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome!! You're about to contract corollavirus Pretty much everything you need to know to be able to take apart the whole car is on this site. Hope you enjoy it. Rollas never die (almost)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is what's called an S and S plus.

The S (base) is basically a stripped down S plus. What it's missing are power windows, sunroof, spoiler, and multi disc cd player. Has the sporty styled body kit and black interior. Not too many were built, but all models has the 1zz power train. So, the mpg's will be close between ce, s and le.
I do like the S model look for sure...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome!! I'm from Toronto and 5-6K should get you something nice. About 10 years ago I bought mine for $10,400 incl tax but that was then. Very reliable!
Great to meet you! Yeah, the Corolla just makes sense now (personally speaking) since I never want a car payment again, put a lot of KM's on and want reliability.

Now to research people who install modern stereos in 2003-08 Corollas. This is definitely becoming a fun new hobby (studying how to repair the car and generally learning more about how bulletproof this model is, especially via Scotty Kilmer). :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2006 Corolla LE
181 Posts
I would install the stereo myself, it's not too difficult to do. If you're gonna install a new radio, they even sell wiring harness adapters so you don't even need to splice the original harnesses, just plug everything into the adapter and plug it to your new radio. If you're gonna replace the speakers, i would use crutchfield since they'll give you a master install guide for your specific vehicle and also give you free wiring harness and mounting hardware with your speaker purchase. I just find the ability to work on ones own car to be highly satisfying than relying on a stranger to do the work. My reasoning: it's not their car, so they don't generally care if they mess something up and they generally don't care too much about making it look nice, they mostly care about making it work and everything else is an after thought. They just wanna get you out the door and a new customer in the shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would install the stereo myself, it's not too difficult to do. If you're gonna install a new radio, they even sell wiring harness adapters so you don't even need to splice the original harnesses, just plug everything into the adapter and plug it to your new radio. If you're gonna replace the speakers, i would use crutchfield since they'll give you a master install guide for your specific vehicle and also give you free wiring harness and mounting hardware with your speaker purchase. I just find the ability to work on ones own car to be highly satisfying than relying on a stranger to do the work. My reasoning: it's not their car, so they don't generally care if they mess something up and they generally don't care too much about making it look nice, they mostly care about making it work and everything else is an after thought. They just wanna get you out the door and a new customer in the shop.
Excellent point! I also feel the same way about mechanics, of course, which is why I'm going to do what I can to do my own repairs (the safe ones that don't involve a hoist, anyway).

I'll look into it more. Thank you for the tips! (y)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Excellent point! I also feel the same way about mechanics, of course, which is why I'm going to do what I can to do my own repairs (the safe ones that don't involve a hoist, anyway).

I'll look into it more. Thank you for the tips! (y)
Lol I can go on and on about stealerships and half ass "mechanics" best way is diy lol put your own life in your own hands. In terms of aftermarket stereo, as previously mentioned, very easy with the harness adapters and din kit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
FYI I bought one of the $80 devices that hook to the back of the original stereo and allow one to connect your phone MP3 player etc to the stereo and hear the audio thru the original stereo. Not thru the antenna or bluetooth but a direct connection on the back of the stereo. Uses a standard 3.5mm stereo plug to connect your phone. I can hear the audio on my phone call thru the speakers and use the mic on the phone to talk into and of course listen to music. Made by Yantour. It think they don't make many anymore as most newer cars have it built in already.

·
Registered
852 Posts
FYI I bought one of the $80 devices that hook to the back of the original stereo and allow on to connect your phone MP3 player etc to the stereo and hear the audio thru the original stereo. Not thru the antenna or bluetooth but a direct connection on the back of the stereo. Uses a standard 3.5mm stereo plug to connect your phone. I can hear the audio on my phone call thru the speakers and use the mic on the phone to talk into and of course listen to music. Made by Yantour. It think they don't make many anymore as most newer cars have it built in already.
Nice, before I used a 20 dollar bluetooth one which I thought worked fine but new head unit definitely made a difference in sound quality.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice, before I used a 20 dollar bluetooth one which I thought worked fine but new head unit definitely made a difference in sound quality.

Yeah I wanted to go with a wired connection as I felt the quality would be better and now I have no issues with the sound quality..............but it was 4 time the price of a bluetooth!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts