Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 maxima SE 5-spd
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, this is my first place and i'm glad that there's such a huge forum for the Camrys. We're looking at a metallic baby blue 1996 camry LE... its' a V4 engine. The car is clean, runs beautiful and about to jump on it for about $4500. It has 112k miles on it.

I was reading through the FAQs and figured that this is a 3rd GEN camry... hopefully there's alot of stuff out for it. However, i would appreciate it if someone can clue me into the common problems a 3rd GEN, especially 96 camrys are known for.

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 96 Camry, it's a V6 LE, and it currently has 108,000 miles. My power antenna died around 80K miles, and my power windows started acting up at around 105K miles (sometimes they'll stop working for a few seconds). The transmission is starting to act up too, but my car is a V6 as opposed to an I4, and I abused the tranny, so I doubt you'll have a problem with it. All in all, a very reliable car with zero major problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well from what i've noticed gen3's are pretty solid cars. check under the fenders for little rust spots tho. Also check on the antenna. Check all the windows. some might go up slower then the next. other than that the car should be great. i got mines for 5000$ with 76,5xx miles 96 LE gold/ gold

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
the 96 camry is the gen 3.5, it's either the 5sfe i4 or the 1mzfe v6 there is no such thing as a v4 due to balancing issues that would occur. the car is generally a pretty solid car that will last forever as long as u put gas in it and change the oil. lots of stuff to do for it, but u do have to search a little harder than u would for your average honda. only real problems i've run into with mine was that I keep breaking the doorhandles on the driver's side.....but i do tend to be a little rough on things...all in all, it's hard to find a better car for the money. the Biggest problem with the car is the LACK OF STOCK HORSEPOWER...lol u gotta mod the shit outta it to get anywhere.:lol:

·
Registered
96 maxima SE 5-spd
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
lol sorry, I4. Okay great info guys. Actually, i never looked at the specs of the camry... this car is for my brother who's going away for college. He just needs a reliable car.

I was looking at ebay quickly to see what I can do quickly and fairly cheap:

clear corners
clear bumpers
red-out tail (already have the vinyl for this)
front strut bar
and maybe a short-ram intake
tint

in-car audio/video stuff

What do you guys think? Maybe suspension and wheels later when my brother starts loving the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts