Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Tacoma 4x4 trd with 23K. Recently my brake light would come on and off, but was not on when I brought it to the dealership. I was told I was low on brake fluid and that I had about 1/3 of my brakes left. I asked for a quote to have them replaced and was told $275. Today my abs light was on, but has since gone off. Has anyone else had these problems? How much have any of you paid to have your front brakes replaced? I don't recall adding brake fluid to any vehicle I've ever owned, nevermind one with only 23K. It also seems odd that my brakes are so worn already. How long should I expect these front brakes to last? Many of my miles are highway miles and I drive mildly-moderately? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brakes

I drive a Ford van, and my front brakes were metal scraping metal at 26,000. Since they weren't pulsating, I put in a set of Autozone cheapy pads for $26. I would think for the price they quoted you, that it includes new rotors. I would call around. and see if you can get a better price.

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
Your brake fluid is low because your brake pads are wearing down. Your not acutally losing any brake fluid, it's just the fluid compressing the brake calipers. Once you get your brake job done your fluid level should be back to normal. Is that quote for the front and rear or just the front?

·
Registered
435 Posts
brakes

I bought new toyota pads for 36 bucks.If your rotors are not warped you can scuff them up with scotchbrite and just put on new pads.The front brakes are very easy to replace.It takes longer to jack the truck up and remove the wheels than to replace the pads.The dealer is making a killing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

Thank you for the responses. The dealer never specified what I needed for brakes, just that there was about 1/3 left. I assume she was just talking about the front pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts