Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am looking for information regarding my 2008 Scion XD.

We got one of our first snowfalls this winter last night, this morning my ABS and Brake light both came on while driving to work. I made the rest of the drive (about 10 miles) and it's now in a parking lot.

Dealer is advising I have it towed and they can look at it tomorrow. IF the issue is covered under the extended warranty I purchased, then towing will be covered as well. If not, I am out for all expenses. I have not yet had any issues with the car since buying it a little over 2 years ago and am unsure of several things.

1. I would much prefer to avoid towing fees if possible. I spoke with Conrad's who told me if I am not noticing any issues with the car, I should be ok to drive it to dealer (about 25 minutes from where I am), and I've seen many posts online about other owners whose lights came on adn later went off, no issue. Dealer 'strongly recommended' I tow it as they cannot guarantee the vehicle's safety. Is there any way to tell if the car is drive able? I have maybe $700 if I move money around to cover this...

2. Any idea how much it's going to cost for diagnostic, labor, etc. from dealer? I have never taken a car to a dealer for a fixing (other than recall) before so I have no idea what to expect, what is reasonable, any ways to make the bill lower, etc.

3. I recently took my car for an oil change and they let me know they noticed the hanger on my muffler broke. I have been busy with a 3rd job until the end of Feb and was plannign to just get a new muffler at that time. Is it possible that issue has something to do with this? Nervous about taking it to dealer only to discover it's just an issue with the muffler, and then paying for it.

Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you if you're read through this long, worrywart post! :)

·
2,657 Posts
My guess is that one of the speed sensors in the rear wheel bearing assemblies is not functioning and it has tripped the lights on your dash.

Because the car can't detect the wheels speed on one of the back corners, you will not have ABS or VSC since the sensor input is needed for those systems to work

the labor is just under 2 hours for a shop to do the job.
The part has a list from the dealer at JUSt under 400.

it's about 600 plus tax for a complete repair...............IF that's what it is, which is what I'm guessing it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!

So what exactly is ABS? I know it's Anti-Lock Brakes and what they do, but I'm uncertain about their function in non-skidding situations? Does it effect my every day driving? I'd really prefer to avoid towing it if possible, just trying to determine if I can drive it out there and avoid the extra cost. I have a hunch this isn't going to be covered under my warranty.

·
2,657 Posts
You don't need to tow it. No reason for that.

Should you fix it?....eventually, as it is a safety system that will help in accident avoidance, especially on snow covered roads.

here is a very simple explanation of how it works.......

·
2,657 Posts
BTW....keep in mind that what I'm saying it might be, is ONLY a guess. You should have it checked out to be sure, but towing is not a necessary step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lights came on when I turned car on this morning but I noticed a couple minutes after I started driving that they both went off (and have stayed off). Still brought it in, they're looking at it now. Crossing my fingers all is well, glad I didn't spend all that money to have it towed! Thank you again for all your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Corrosion on rear wheel bearings so those and sensors need replaced. Luckily my extended warranty covers all but deductible and $70+tax for wires. Also said brakes need cleaned and adjusted ($54+tax) and a cable is loose on parking brake which is causing that light to come on ($108). They had to order a part so I'm taking it back Tues or Wed once it comes in. Oh, and both lights were on when I left dealer, didn't go back out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Kcruz,

this wheel speed sensor is very common to go broken at random time and this lead me to think it is manufacturer defect. my matrix has 140,000 miles and the sensors never goes bad. my venza same year 09 with 50,000 miles and rear left sensor went bad ( it appears as when I swapped over summer to winter tires)

that sentence where rear wheel bearing makes that sensor goes bad ( I dont buy into this ). I have replaced my brother 04 TL and his was so stuck with corrosion and that I have to remove the axle and slam it with the hammer and a screw driver to get it out. This is condition is still working before some very good professional mechanic cut the sensor wire just to replace the upper control arm ( these kind of mechanic that makes me run away from all the auto shops for all maintenance except something I have no tools for )

Anyhow, thanks that your warranty covers the towing and the sensor.

·
2,657 Posts
@kcruz ..Figured that's what it would be. Fairly common. I'm wondering why they're replacing the wires though. was there damage there too?? Also, I'm surprised to hear about the brake cable. That seems a little fishy to me. Is your car a manual transmission? clean and adjust sounds legit.

@outfire ...It Depends on the wheel setup too. I'm thinking that with the traditional designs where there is a sensor bolted into the rear knuckle, that metal contaminants aren't very common. On the design that is being used on the rear wheel hub assemblies on many FWD Toyotas, i'm guessing that over time, small metal fragments from the wheel bearing itself get attached to the magnet of the sensor that is pressed on to the back of the hub. After enough of these fragments get stuck to the sensor magnet, it can't detect the wheels speed, and it throws a code.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts