Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Scion xD. My abs light, brake light, CEL (p0500) are on. My speedometer and odometer are not working. Battery acid was leaking from the battery. Tranny is stuck in limp mode.

Replacements thus far:
VSS mounted on the transmission
battery (seems to be leaking again)
ABS module

Notes:
Wheel speed sensors seem to be in good condition with visual inspection
Mechanic can't "talk" to the new abs module but has confirmed it was working when installed

I'm at a loss. Could an alternator be responsible? I haven't had any problems with starting or keeping a charge.

·
2,667 Posts
when you say the battery is leaking....how is it leaking?

Is it leaking due to a crack in the case or is it boiling over??

P0500 is a speed sensor malfunction.

The vehicle speed signal from the vehicle speed sensor is cut for 0.14 seconds or more while cruise control is in operation.

"Trouble Areas"
Vehicle speed sensor
Vehicle speed sensor signal circuit
Combination meter
ECM
Harness or connector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is brand new but it seems to be leaking again as well. The posts have liquid at their base and its around the casing, as if boiling over. I originally replaced the battery because the old one was also leaking.

I originally thought that the issue was due to acid leaking on the ABS module and the VSS. I replaced both the module and the VSS this week. However, problem still exists.

When the abs module was replaced, "brake" light went off but the "abs" light was still on. Speedometer still wasn't working. When I went to leave, car wouldn't shift out of first. Once it revved high enough, the computer recognized it, threw the p0500 and then shifted (now in limp mode). When that happened, the "brake" light came back on.

·
2,667 Posts
Sounds like it's time to let the dealer have at it. There is an issue somewhere that could be stupid and simple, or as complicated as a small wiring short inside the loom.

If your battery is leaking due to the same issue as the first one, then you have an electrical problem somewhere that an electrical diagnostician needs to look at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I think too. I just dropped it off at Scion. Master technician is taking the lead on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I took it to Scion and had them look at it. Tech calibrated the new ABS module and everything was working again. However, the ABS light was still on because he said the front left wheel speed sensor needed to be replaced and the front right sensor was reading "dirty". Anyway, I was driving it out of the dealership when all lights came back on, speedo stopped working and the tranny went back into limp mode.

Mechanic said the front left bearing and wheel sensor need to be replaced ($543). Would that make all the lights go on, speedo go dead, and send tranny into limp mode? Just because of one sensor?? Why did it drive fine for the mechanic and then again for me (granted drive time was under a mile)? If I have them fix it, do you think it'd solve the problem? I hate to shell out money I don't have if it won't fix it.

·
2,667 Posts
If the tech clears it out, sometimes the codes take a little bit to come back on again. it's possible that once the car saw the codes again for an extended period of time, it shut it all down again.

How bad is the wheel bearing? The sensor is a bolt on item and something you could possibly do yourself if you're decent at anything mechanical. The wheel bearing is pressed and needs a shop with the proper tools to do that job. The sensor lists at about 240 dollars, but I'm sure you could get it cheaper. I would cut you a deal on it if you need.

it's up to you as to how you want to go about it, but it sounds like at least you have the diag..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had almost the same issues with my Scion xD. Battery was leaking, a bunch of lights were on the dash, and some electrical components like the windows and power steering weren't working. Turns out it was a bad power relay and some bad/missing fuses. Hope this helps, and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts