Toyota Nation Forum banner

Abs/cruise control upgrade

987 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  95DXCorolla 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I took on a project to add abs and cruise control to my 95 corolla dx. I got the front harness, main body harness, dash harness and ECUs (Cruise control, abs, and main ecu). The donor car I believe was a 93 or 94 LE that had the same 7afe/A245e drive train as my current car. I just finished this swap, and tried to start it up...it's completely dead. The battery is charged, I checked all the grounds and fuses, and i checked the connectivity of the ignition switch and they all look good. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions where to look next? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I'd say look at the wiring diagram first. I know I couldn't do this upgrade without consulting that. I'd like to add crusie control in the future.

I'm not sure you need to swap the ECU. I think the cruise control computer is all you needed to add. I'm not sure if the engine ECU is different for ABS.

Is your 95 a non-OBD-II? Adjustable distributor? No crank position sensor by the timing belt?

When you turn the key to the ON position does the check engine light illuminate? That would at least show that the engine ECU is getting power. If you swapped engine ECU, try swapping back the old one.

Reactions: Chris94
#3 ·
Hello, thanks for the response. It has obd1, I believe the distributor is adjustable, and I believe I have a crank position sensor...I'm assuming it's the sensor on the oil pump next to the main pulley?

I tried swapping back the original ecu, no change to the car. The car does not light up, or chime, it's completely dead.

I'm trying to figure out if the ecu is getting power...is there a way to check that? Looks like the fuses are good, maybe bad relay? I'm not good with electrical haha, this is a good learning opportunity!

#4 ·
I thought all engines with adjustable distributor did not have the crank position sensor by the oil pump.

It sounds like maybe you accidentally blew a fuse. Which circuits are getting power and which are not? Headlights, parking lights, stop lights, radio, etc.?

#6 ·
Start at the battery and work your way to the fuses to check voltage. It could be one of the big "fusible links" is blown. Those are like 80A or 100A and they are screwed down in the engine fuse box.

Reactions: Pete Suhman
#7 ·
Ok, so I checked the main fuse and the ones beside it, and non of them have any voltage through them. The battery still has a charge. I checked the alternator, since that too is a direct connect to the battery, and that shows voltage. Any ideas? Damaged wire harness?

#9 ·
Negative probe of voltmeter on negative battery post, positive probe on positive battery post. Then work your way to the fuse box with positive probe keeping negative probe on negative battery terminal. Don't touch the 2 probes to the 2 fuse terminals, keep the negative probe on the battery and just move the positive probe. Sorry if you already understand this. I just want to be certain you are checking correctly.

If the voltage isn't reaching the fuse box then maybe the positive cable going to the fuse box has corrosion where it's bolted to the terminal connector. Maybe the cable is corroded under the insulation. You may need to check the bottom of the fuse box. It's not unheard of to have corrosion there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.