Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my friend from Midas helped me install my Springs and Struts there is a problem. The ABS light is on right now. He hooked a comp up to it and said it was one of the rear sensors that broke. He said it might take them an hour or two to find out which sensor it is. Now my question is, is it really a broken sensor?

He also said the system couldnt be reset so we wouldnt be sure if it was actually an ABS problem. So can the system not be reset? I took off the battery cables for a while and put them back on, but the light came back on instantly upon restart.

He assured me there is no problem and that the abs should work just fine. I'm personally just annoyed of the light and of the possible time i must spend on this one thing. :disappoin

·
Registered
567 Posts
If sensor is broke/not working I don't see how the ABS will work properly as it relies on the sensor input. Although your regular brakes should work fine. Were you working on the rear struts? If so I would check to see if you damaged or accidentally unplugged one of the rear wheel sensors.

Gary

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i dont see how the abs could be working properly either...haha

The front and rear struts and springs were changed. And right now im thinking it was probably just unplugged or something. At least i would hope so. I'm probably bringing it in after school tomorrow. And hopefully it wont take as long as he estimated, and hopefully it was just unplugged or something short of needing a repair/replacement.

·
myCar
66 Posts
Your sensor probably needs replacement. I also had this happen when my stuts were changed (got mine from NAPA - was a little less than OEM). You must be the fifth or sixth person I remember this happening to from both TN and camryman.org. I think most of them if not all were the drivers side.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats not a good thing...

would you happen to know if there is one common one? Ie. rear right or something like that which is always broken?

And perhaps have those individuals reported how or why it might have broken?

Thanks

·
myCar
66 Posts
Mine was drivers side rear as was tubbyc's and I think I remember at least one other. As to the cause - nothing out of the ordinary - just the act of taking the strut out (or putting it in). I suspect the drivers rear sensor can't take some bangs or pressure from a wrench for some reason.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my friend suspects its that one too. I guess i'll find out soon enough. I think hes gunna fix it for free for me but just in case...how much might this part cost me? And est on labor?

·
myCar
66 Posts
It's been 2-3 years - I don't remember the price but I know it was more than I thought it would be - also the shop that did the work finally agreed to cover the part and replacement so it didn't cost me anything but a little time.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chet said:
It's been 2-3 years - I don't remember the price but I know it was more than I thought it would be - also the shop that did the work finally agreed to cover the part and replacement so it didn't cost me anything but a little time.

ah i see thanks for your comments, i appreciate it.
I think i did a search online and i came across a sensor for abs at over 100 dollars...haha i sure hope they cover it for me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i have the exact same problem for months now. my friend helped me replace the struts as well. check out the Haynes manual for the Camry. i bought one and was able to determine what exact ABS line is triggering the light, and it was fairly easy.

i still have the light on and never had the time to diagnose it. i only recall one problem during the installation: my friend accidentally broke off a screw that held a wire as if it was grounded to the strut (maybe this was the one?). then again, i'm not sure if that's the cause.

·
Toyota Lover
Camry, Corolla, Supr
142 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me last summer. I had to replace my passenger side rear ABS speed sensor. It was damaged during the removal of the stock struts(My assumption as I've heard this happen a few other times). Since it was in the summer and I had no need of my ABS, I wasnt in a rush to fix the problem because I was told the part alone was ~$300 canadian. So I just waited patiently and hoped something would appear on ebay, and to my amazement.. a new rear passenger ABS speed sensor appeard and I was able to pick it up for ~$70 bucks.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting...this sure sounds like something toyota needs to give some attention to. But what im curious is, although my springs have never been replaced up till now, my struts have, and there have been no problems till these KYB's were installed. Perhaps regular type struts and/or oem struts are okay? Minus perhaps breaking something of course.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well crap. It rained today and i know for sure i dont have ABS.

And after school i took my car down and they couldnt pull a stupid code for the part thats malfunctioning. Tomorrow i'll have to take it to a shop they recommend. HOwever i think they are paying for the costs since they did screw it up in the first place. Im just mad its gobbling up all my time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts