Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any suggestions:
I had my truck lifted and bigger tire and wheels put on.
After I left with truck I noticed the truck would give a vibration in the drivers side brake and move the brake pedal and steering wheel. I took the truck back two weeks later and asked if they could find out what was causing the issue. (This was not happening before lift).
They diagnosed that the abs sensor was activating at 4mph. Which would explain exactly what it was doing. So I took my truck to a dealership and had them replace the sensor with a new one 415.00 Ouch and did not fix the problem. Could this new sensor be faulty ? I've been looking at some of the forums it says everything from needing to replace the abs actuator , warped rotors ,bad brake pads and even wheel bearings needing to be replaced. Trying not to break the bank to fix the issue.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,738 Posts
Is your CEL light on or was it ever? Who and how did it get determined it was a bad ABS Sensor and which one since each wheel has one. If the ECM detected a bad sensor the code would tell you which one. Also the ABS/SRS modual needs a scanner that is capible of clearing an ABS code, pulling the EFI relay or disconnecting the battery won't reset it.
You can buy an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that can be used with a smart phone or tablet to get codes and reset the ecm. Cheaper than going to the dealer and you have an idea what's possibly wrong before going to a mechanic. Most auto parts stores will at least scan your car for free, takes a few minutes.

I guess during a lift an ABS sensor could get damaged or end up being to far from the ring gear that it generates the speed info from.Possible that a ring gear got damaged too. 1st time I've heard of such a problem after a lift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your CEL light on or was it ever? Who and how did it get determined it was a bad ABS Sensor and which one since each wheel has one. If the ECM detected a bad sensor the code would tell you which one. Also the ABS/SRS modual needs a scanner that is capible of clearing an ABS code, pulling the EFI relay or disconnecting the battery won't reset it.
You can buy an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that can be used with a smart phone or tablet to get codes and reset the ecm. Cheaper than going to the dealer and you have an idea what's possibly wrong before going to a mechanic. Most auto parts stores will at least scan your car for free, takes a few minutes.

I guess during a lift an ABS sensor could get damaged or end up being to far from the ring gear that it generates the speed info from.Possible that a ring gear got damaged too. 1st time I've heard of such a problem after a lift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No light ever came on, Will try to take to Oreilys to have them check the codes this weekend ( If I can get free- Thanksgiving weekend).

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,738 Posts
Well I believe you mentioned you didn't have the issue prior to the lift. So they lift it and they tell you they found(via how?) a bad sensor or you left and it acted up so you took it back? Hell of a coincidence!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts