Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I finally took my rig to the dealer and they confirmed the noise I was hearing from the passenger side of the cab/motor was indeed the ABS self check. Thus I left it alone. However, I would like to know how many of you are living with this surge or do not have it at all.
Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
self check? different than the noisy racket and pedal vibration when the ABS is doing its thing? Or are talking about the fuel self check 5 hrs after sitting?

If so driving racket, thats normal. Went on the ice yesterday, its get really bad on a near zero traction surface. Slightest touch of the brakes and the symphony begins...:lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, my '08 truck has the sound of ABS self check/reset, too, exactly what you described.

My '05 Nissan had this ABS self check/reset sound also, but after 30 yards from taking off with a clicking sound to verify.

·
Registered
13 Posts
self check? different than the noisy racket and pedal vibration when the ABS is doing its thing?

If so driving racket, thats normal. Went on the ice yesterday, its get really bad on a near zero traction surface. Slightest touch of the brakes and the symphony begins...:lol:
+1

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
self check? different than the noisy racket and pedal vibration when the ABS is doing its thing? Or are talking about the fuel self check 5 hrs after sitting?
Neither, it's a slight purging sound (like a fart) coming from the glove compartment, or in this case the ABS unit - and only occurring after you start the truck and during the first 10+/- feet of movement.

·
Tis da Black Pearl...Taco
370 Posts
I have the sound too, every once in a while. I kinda thought it has something to do with the ABS, but never worried about it.

Does anyone know what it is actually doing? Is it pumping the brakes on each wheel, or what?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Neither, it's a slight purging sound (like a fart) coming from the glove compartment, or this case the ABS unit - and only occurring after you start the truck and during the first 10+/- feet of movement.
No worries! You should hear the ABS system self check/reset every time you taking off within 10 feet. I would worry if you don't hear it or hear it all the time under normal braking on dry pavement. I heard it a lot when braking on icy road. One time under a very hard braking, I heard it. The ABS system preventing brakes from locking up.

·
Wherever I May Roam
221 Posts
I always thought that noise was my tire hitting something. I have heard the fuel check noise only once when I was under the hood doing something. No key or anything in the ignition. Tripped me out at first!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This really solves the matter for me.
Sounds exactly like a small fart and within 10 feet or so of taking off from a standstill.
Dealer changed whole intake pipes etc as they said it was a vibration coming from those items.
What bollocks!
I can sleep easy now. Thanks guys.
H.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump...
Sorry for being a pest, but does anyone else has this issue or not? The reason I'm being persistent is that I may demand the dealer to fix it if it's not such a common problem.
Thanks,

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
I have it too. I thought something may be wrong because I've been hearing this noise (like described in this thread) when pulling out of my garage every day. Now I know what it is! Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks everybody! Been wondering what this noise/vibration is when first pressing the gas pedal. Whew!

My 2006 owners manual has the description on page 277. The description is not the best. It says:

"You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the anti-lock system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction.

When the anti-lock brake system is activated, the following conditions may occur. They do not indicate a malfunction of the system:

- You may hear the anti-lock brake system operating and feel the brake pedal pulsating and the vibrations of the vehicle body and steering wheel. You may also hear the motor sound in the engine compartment even after the vehicle is stopped.

-At the end of the anti-lock brake system activation, the brake pedal may move a little forward."

Hope this helps anybody else!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Holy cripes!!! I've wondered what that noise was for a long time. I always thought it was a rattling panel or my billet grill. I'm really glad someone revived this thread. When the kids smell another fart in the truck, I'll tell them the abs self checker was farting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, it's an annoying thing to not know what it is.

My sound is like a deep groan with a vibration felt in the gas pedal upon first pressing it after start up. It's throaty sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
Keone777
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing