Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can you please tell me which of the 4 vents on the plastic trim (below wipers) should I spray Lysol down to disinfect the ac vents? I only feel an air pull from the biggest center one but I wonder if the small one in the middle also has that purpose.
Thanks

Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is a well covered issue with the Highlander and there are a lot of good comments on this site, do a search and you'll find some pretty good descriptions of how to solve the problem. Basically it's more effective to take the glove compartment door off, open the cabin filter door, pull filter, then spray where fan sucks air into the system. Put blower on full blast and move direction lever to all the various positions. Mine's an 2008 and I do this once at start of Spring and once at end of Fall. Has solved the problem for 12 years and a lot cheaper than replacing the system!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a well covered issue with the Highlander and there are a lot of good comments on this site, do a search and you'll find some pretty good descriptions of how to solve the problem. Basically it's more effective to take the glove compartment door off, open the cabin filter door, pull filter, then spray where fan sucks air into the system. Put blower on full blast and move direction lever to all the various positions. Mine's an 2008 and I do this once at start of Spring and once at end of Fall. Has solved the problem for 12 years and a lot cheaper than replacing the system!
Thank you very much. I found your post from 2013. However you mention you also sprayed into the outside vent. But I’m assuming you decided it’s most effective by the air filter. To be exact, I spray it upward from the air filter right? Or both upward and downward? Thank you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm pretty sure I might have first tried the outside but then realized, from other advice on this forum, that you have to go behind the glove compartment and pull the interior air filter and spray just above the spinning fan that draws the air into the system. The fan then takes it everywhere as you shift the direction control, also I do this both on hot and cold setting to make sure the disinfectant gets to anywhere the mold might be. Also, I usually do it in the evening so that once done spraying, turn it off and let the stuff sit overnight to kill anything that's in there. It usually smells of the disinfectant when you first turn it on but fades after a few minutes. I've always used a spray called "Frigi-Fresh" which is sold on-line. NAPA was where I first found it, other brands may work just as well.

Oh,.....basically if you don't remove the interior filter, (may as well change it when you do this), the filter would stop the spray form getting to the part where the mold is located. And,....when you take the little filter out be carful not to let and of the junk it stops from falling beyond the fan blades. Check the rest of this forum, you might find a few pix of how to do all this stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks. I’ve now searched the forum for about an hour haha. Can you just please tell me if I spray inside the air filter cabin toward the ground or toward the sky? Im guessing toward the ground (downward)

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry LE
24 Posts
Honestly, I tried using Lysol and all it did was make the interior smell like Lysol. It didn’t get rid of the musty smell. A few weeks later I used one of the dedicated A/C cleaners to resolve the problem. I think it was called Klimakill. I hear the Toyota A/C cleaner kit is pretty good too. That kit includes spray for the vents as well as the evaporator.

I think this is the kit:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, I tried using Lysol and all it did was make the interior smell like Lysol. It didn’t get rid of the musty smell. A few weeks later I used one of the dedicated A/C cleaners to resolve the problem. I think it was called Klimakill. I hear the Toyota A/C cleaner kit is pretty good too. That kit includes spray for the vents as well as the evaporator.

I think this is the kit:
Thank you. I can try one of the readily available ones like frigifresh. I can’t ship spray cans to Hawaii.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts