Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

1998 Camry, 2.2L auto, ~153k miles

This is my in-laws car, not sure how long it's been doing this. When the AC is on, it blows super cold out of the driver's side vents (left vent by the window and center left vent). The air coming through the passenger side vents is noticeably warmer.

Is this a blend door problem? I have heard there are mesh screens inside the center vents that can become clogged after years of use, and that people have removed them. But not sure why this would affects air temp.

·
イリジウム
11,548 Posts
Might also be low on refrigerant. I don't think the 2.2L has dual zone. It's not XLE is it?

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
I've had this occur in many cars....well Toyotas.

Sign that the refrigerant levels are low. I also noticed it'll blow 'mist' randomly which seems to be related to the refrigerant levels.

AFAIK you can never know what the proper level to add in without a full vacuum and add via weight. I just normally add in until I feel in my gut it is enough via manifold gauges and by vent temp and call it a day until I need to 'top off'. probably not the most correct way, but I have not had an AC system blow up on me...yet :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm so used to having manual controls between the 93 and 94. As mentioned above, sounds like your refrigerant charge is a bit low. Not enough liquid volume getting into the evaporator. I've seen ppl blow compressor burst discs in the parking lot before so if charging your A/C system is a new endeavor, def read up on what to do first. Having manifold gauge set will help you see what's not right with your A/C system.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Another possibility is the HVAC actuator that controls the heating/cooling vents. The heater always produces hot air when the engine is warm, but is not supposed to be blowing it into the vents if the actuator is working properly (when the A/C is on).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another possibility is the HVAC actuator that controls the heating/cooling vents. The heater always produces hot air when the engine is warm, but is not supposed to be blowing it into the vents if the actuator is working properly (when the A/C is on).
Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning towards the issue being something like this. I do have manifold gauges and I verified AC pressures prior to posting this. In ~85*F weather the low side was around 35-40 psi and high side 150-200 psi with the compressor running. I don't think adding more will help.

Also, I don't think low refrigerant would cause a temp difference between vents, it would just be not as cold throughout. Is the actuator that controls the blend door on the drivers side or pass. side? Maybe if I can visualize the movement of the door I can see if it's doing what it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning towards the issue being something like this. I do have manifold gauges and I verified AC pressures prior to posting this. In ~85*F weather the low side was around 35-40 psi and high side 150-200 psi with the compressor running. I don't think adding more will help.

Also, I don't think low refrigerant would cause a temp difference between vents, it would just be not as cold throughout. Is the actuator that controls the blend door on the drivers side or pass. side? Maybe if I can visualize the movement of the door I can see if it's doing what it's supposed to be.
Try doing a search on Toyota Camry HVAC Air Inlet Door Actuator. You might find some diagrams or other advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
mark888
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing