Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that season and I'm getting ready for my summer road trips and this year I told my partner we'd have AC (and a truck fridge!)! So now I got to do it.

So here's what I'm working with:
97 T100, 3.4 DX (not SR5)
When I bought it, the ac belt was off so I've never had ac.
Reason why ac belt was off: the pulley (rotor) is very loose. I can wiggle it front to back with my hand and I imagine the previous owner experienced very strange things when he had a belt on and was wise to keep it off.
So I was originally thinking I would pull and replace the compressor (and evaporator and maybe some other stuff) but then I look at the problem and think can I get out easy by pulling the pulley and replacing the bearing and putting it back together without even removing the compressor?
Maybe the shaft that the pulley sits on is messed up?
I guess I'll take it off and find out.

Thanks in advance

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
I guess it would all depend on how badly the pulley was wobbling and fer how long. Eventually, the vibration might cause the shaft/bearings to wallow out and the compressor might end up shedding the teflon seals. Take a peek at the dryer window and see if it looks like there's dirt/debris/black coating on there. If so, yer compressor is hosed as well as the dryer. You might be able to save the condenser but you'd be better off gitting a new one. You'll definitely need to flush the system out. Since yer gonna have the system apart, you can easily take out the evaporator and clean the fins off really easy out of the vehicle. I think there's only 10 fasteners you'll need to deal with. No, you don't have to take the dash apart. Take a peek at my AC evaporator thread in the DIY section. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bam. Ive been looking over a couple of your AC threads as Im getting ready.
Im gonna get on it this weekend if the weathers good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so about these teflon seals...

I pulled my clutch and pulley and there was some carnage. First off, I had my snap ring pliers all ready to go but my snap ring was gone so i didnt even get to use them. Some small dust shield was all mangled up. The bearing had about ten ball bearings in it and when I knocked it out with a socket and hammer, the inner hub came out and left the outer one pressed into the pulley. (I need a bigger socket for the outer hub). I ordered the new sealed bearing which is supposedly: Nachi part # 6301-2nse c3. Less than $10 on ebay. So when I get the new bearing I will see how smoothly it spins on the compressor and that will dictate whether I try to re-assemble. And I need to buy a snap ring.

I did save all those little washers in the back of the pulley because everyone has mentioned that.

My main concern, besides how well the new bearing will fit back on, is the face of the compressor that is right behind the pulley. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to look like? Mine has no cover or anything on it. It's exposed copper wiring and grime. It seems like there ought to be some cover on it.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,747 Posts
Ok so about these teflon seals...

I pulled my clutch and pulley and there was some carnage. First off, I had my snap ring pliers all ready to go but my snap ring was gone so i didnt even get to use them. Some small dust shield was all mangled up. The bearing had about ten ball bearings in it and when I knocked it out with a socket and hammer, the inner hub came out and left the outer one pressed into the pulley. (I need a bigger socket for the outer hub). I ordered the new sealed bearing which is supposedly: Nachi part # 6301-2nse c3. Less than $10 on ebay. So when I get the new bearing I will see how smoothly it spins on the compressor and that will dictate whether I try to re-assemble. And I need to buy a snap ring.

I did save all those little washers in the back of the pulley because everyone has mentioned that.

My main concern, besides how well the new bearing will fit back on, is the face of the compressor that is right behind the pulley. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to look like? Mine has no cover or anything on it. It's exposed copper wiring and grime. It seems like there ought to be some cover on it.
This should help.
https://www.carid.com/ac-compressor-clutches.html?filter=1&year=1996&make=Toyota&model=T-100&view=1234567

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks sdspeed!
Got a clutch kit on and the ac works!
Now for the bad news. The surface the bearing rotates on must have gotten deformed when the last bearing was going out so the new assembly is a little wobbly. I'm thinking I might take everything off and see what I can do about that. Maybe fit a sleeve on on it for the bearing to have a better mating surface?
Anyways, it works for now and the install wasn't bad. The worst part is getting at those snap rings with such limited clearance. and what kind of weird electrical connector did toyota use for the ac compressor?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
You might be able to help it out by using some epoxy. Outside of that, yer gitting a new compressor. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Im getting a new compressor before next summer.
You were right Bam. Im glad I tried but I gotta go full hog and not cut corners on this one.
When I engaged AC it caused some weird back pressure that made my radiator leak. So no AC but i do have a new radiator now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts