Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing out my ac expansion valve on my 86 Pickup in a few weeks. Haynes manual is useless. Has anyone done this on their pickup and if so, can you offer me any ideas on how to do it? Thks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The expansion valve is located under the dash inside the evaporator enclosure/ductwork. I have had my entire A/c system apart (rebuild compressor, replaced evaporator, low pressure switch and filter/accumulator). The unit under the dash comes out without much fight if you can find all of the screws. You have to take the glove box out and the lower mounting rail for the box. Unplug the connectors for the thermo switch, l/p switch and amplifier. You also have to disconnect the liquid line and suction hose from the firewall side. (BE CAUTIOUS DOING SO over the years the aluminum on the evaporator may have bonded with the nut on these lines and may destroy the threads when you try to dissasemble them). I had that problem and had to buy a new evaporator and suction hose to correct the problem. Try sparying all of your connections with PB, or other pentrating oil to minimize the possible problems.

the a/c system is pretty well covered in the toyota FSM. There is a copy of a 1985 manual somewhere on this forum. I used it for my compressor and complete system rebuild and my a/c has worked for more than 2 years without problems (this was after it hadn't work for more than 6).

It's not a bad job if you have the parts and are prepared for a little potential adversity. There are some websites that have a lot of the parts for pretty reasonable prices. I got parts from

acsource.net, acsource.com among others.

hope this helps some.

·
Registered
192 Posts
np... there's no point in more than one person struggling through something and spending more money to fix things than he has to...

·
4,027 Posts
Question for you guys: Is there any pressure in those lines when you disconnect them ?
If the system has pressure, then yes. You'll need to get the refrigerant evacuated if that is the case.

·
4,027 Posts
Hello......you can not post a link to an FSM. Forum rule is quoted below:

"17. Copyrighted Material: There will be no posts or threads containing a direct link to Toyota Factory Service Manuals."

Here is an explanation of rule #17 regarding FSM posting: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/toyota-nation-and-the-no-free-fsm-policy.450553/

The general rules for Toyota Nation are here: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/forum-rules.1779/

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the system has pressure, then yes. You'll need to get the refrigerant evacuated if that is the case.
Bummer, looks like I will have to remove as much of glove box as I can, then take it to mechanic for replacement. Evacuation beyond my experience. Thanks John
Jim

·
4,027 Posts
You only need evacuation IF there is pressure. If your system had a slow leak, you might not have any refrigerant in the system at all, which would mean you don't need to evacuate. Get some gauges and hook them up to see if you have any pressure. If it's zero, then you can start to dismantle the system w/o evac.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You only need evacuation IF there is pressure. If your system had a slow leak, you might not have any refrigerant in the system at all, which would mean you don't need to evacuate. Get some gauges and hook them up to see if you have any pressure. If it's zero, then you can start to dismantle the system w/o evac.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi John

I just had the AC system checked. They added a half pound and told me about the expansion valve. They wanted 450.00 to replace the part, which I can get for about 12.00 at rockauto. I am leary, I would break something else after reading your input. May just live with it. Don't use AC that much in CA

Thanks
Jim

·
4,027 Posts
Hi John

I just had the AC system checked. They added a half pound and told me about the expansion valve. They wanted 450.00 to replace the part, which I can get for about 12.00 at rockauto. I am leary, I would break something else after reading your input. May just live with it. Don't use AC that much in CA

Thanks
Jim
Yeah, it actually was jlangdon in post #2 who provided the details on the work to be done. You can try and do the expansion valve yourself and save a lot of money (as we discussed earlier, you'd have to get the system evacuated first). Up to you. If you have to do all that work to replace the expansion valve, I highly recommend you go with the OE Toyota part or with the Denso aftermarket part. I THINK the Toyota part # is 88515-16031-83 . Toyota retail price is $64.40, but you can probably find it online for around $45. The Denso part # is: 475-2086 about $20 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=475-2086&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss I would not use any brand other than Toyota or Denso.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts