Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing the t-belt and pump and all oil seals. Refilled radiator than noticed the ac was not cooling like before. I think i burped all the air out of system but still not as cold. Could there still be air in system? Or did something else go wrong?

Any ideas?

thx

:confused:

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
Unless you went way beyond the normal scope of a t-belt change, I can think of only two possible connections between the work done and the A/C system:
The serpentine belt (but if it were slipping, you'd hear it).
Wires to the cooling fans may heave been left disconnected. Do they both turn on with the A/C?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I wanna say it's the belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you went way beyond the normal scope of a t-belt change, I can think of only two possible connections between the work done and the A/C system:
The serpentine belt (but if it were slipping, you'd hear it).
Wires to the cooling fans may heave been left disconnected. Do they both turn on with the A/C?

Fans are connected they do turn on when needed. If the t-belt is slipping how would that make the AC not cool as it did before? I will have to double check it.

Thx

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Noooo not the timing belt slipping. The serpentine belt that goes to the AC

·
1,614 Posts
Fans are connected they do turn on when needed. If the t-belt is slipping how would that make the AC not cool as it did before? I will have to double check it.

Thx
Slow down and read carefully. I asked if the fans come on when you turn on the A/C. You said "when needed".

Answer the question asked. Virtually all cars run the condenser fan(s) anytime the A/C is on, overriding control based on engine temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slow down and read carefully. I asked if the fans come on when you turn on the A/C. You said "when needed".

Answer the question asked. Virtually all cars run the condenser fan(s) anytime the A/C is on, overriding control based on engine temp.

yep, sorry.

They do come on when the ac is turned on. I checked the AC belt and it is good. I did have the AC charged last month and worked fine till after the belt work. Just odd. Will have to keep looking unless the AC has a leak now it didn't have before.

·
1,614 Posts
Well, why was it charged last month? Because it was low due to a leak?? The timing could be purely coincidental that you've reached the point where loss of refrigerant has reduced the level to where it's noticed. You can often lose half the charge without noticing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, why was it charged last month? Because it was low due to a leak?? The timing could be purely coincidental that you've reached the point where loss of refrigerant has reduced the level to where it's noticed. You can often lose half the charge without noticing.

That probably may be the case. Its my daughters car so who knows how long it didn't cool before i took it in to the shop. Will have to check if they pressure tested the system. Surely the did.?

Thanks again.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
I agree with you circumstancially. A/C coolant slow leaks over time, sometime amounting to up to 5% a year! Even thought the system is sealed! If in fact, the OP had an issue with the A/C/ that caused him to refill it, the refrigerant leaking would be a likely possibility:thumbsup:

For now, I would adjust the Alternator belt, which also drives the A/C compressor. I really don't think it has anything to do with the t-belt itself...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the AC cools some? Compressor is running right? Doesn't the Gen3 have sight glass? If so, you could check it for bubbles.

Yes my 92 has a sight glass. According to manual if you see bubbles while running it is low. Some foaming is normal when it is okay and running. Probably have the shop check it again. Wonder if i damaged a line when working on timing belt and getting all the parts and bolts off.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Yes my 92 has a sight glass. According to manual if you see bubbles while running it is low. Some foaming is normal when it is okay and running. Probably have the shop check it again. Wonder if i damaged a line when working on timing belt and getting all the parts and bolts off.

It has a sight glass:confused: I thought that was a gen 4 thing!

·
1,614 Posts
Sight glasses were almost universal on r-12 systems, which the 92 would have been from the factory.

An 18 year old compressor's seal is the first place I'd look for a leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well its the evap core leaking. Shop says replace that and compressor it has a small leak too. Total 1300 to 1500. I said no thanks. Anyone tackle that themselfs ?

·
1,614 Posts
I've not done it on a gen3, but on other vehicles. Tedious with lots of things to keep track of, more than requiring high skill. At the end, you'd need to have someone vacuum and recharge. I don't recall a year mentioned, but if 94 or earlier and still r-12, this would be the time to convert.

Chiltons labor shows .7 for the comp; 5.1 for the evap; and 1.2 for the evac, vacuum & recharge, for 7 hours total.

See my PM for more info.

Reactions: johnnyg66
1 - 20 of 22 Posts