Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Camry 4 cyl....AC is fully charged however intermittently it won't blow really cold air. Seems to occur on particularly hot days when the sun is beating down on the car consistently and it is very hot out....in the morning the AC is cold...and also in the evening....but if I put it on during mid-day in the baking sun it just never seems to get really cold. On days when it isn't quite so hot there seems to be no problem. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Turbo Snail
5,300 Posts
try turning your Speed down to the low setting or the next setting up (First 2 lines). If its blowing very cold while at those settings you could have a sticking expansion valve.

You could have a clog somewhere in your AC System too, causing your system to not be able to push the freon correctly too.

·
Lost to follow up!
12,156 Posts
Really hot days might have something to do with it too...especially if your in traffic and not going very fast.

My 96 does the same thing, in traffic....but once up to speed I'm cool as a cucumber!:lol:

You can shift it to recirculate, and maybe that'll cool ya down :dunno:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Thanks. It makes no difference what setting the blower is on...still not very cold either way. If there were a clog in the system.....why would it ONLY cause a problem on excessively hot days and otherwise it runs ice cold??

QUOTE=Mister_Perkins;3631065]try turning your Speed down to the low setting or the next setting up (First 2 lines). If its blowing very cold while at those settings you could have a sticking expansion valve.

You could have a clog somewhere in your AC System too, causing your system to not be able to push the freon correctly too.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well.....the ac system should blow really cold air regardless of how hot it is outside, no? It doesn't seem to matter whether I"m in traffic or driving fast....it still remains not very cold. I do always put it on recirculate whenever using the AC...so that doesn't make a difference either. The problem occurs while on recirculate.

Really hot days might have something to do with it too...especially if your in traffic and going very fast.

My 96 does the same thing, in traffic....but once up to speed I'm cool as a cucumber!:lol:

You can shift it to recirculate, and maybe that'll cool ya down :dunno:

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,522 Posts
Well.....the ac system should blow really cold air regardless of how hot it is outside, no? It doesn't seem to matter whether I"m in traffic or driving fast....it still remains not very cold. I do always put it on recirculate whenever using the AC...so that doesn't make a difference either. The problem occurs while on recirculate.
My 95 had similar symptoms a couple of years back -- A/C worked OK if it wasn't too hot out, but blew warm-ish air whenever interior temps were high. I finally traced it down to the expansion valve.

·
Lost to follow up!
12,156 Posts
My 95 had similar symptoms a couple of years back -- A/C worked OK if it wasn't too hot out, but blew warm-ish air whenever interior temps were high. I finally traced it down to the expansion valve.
Maybe I need to check my expansion valve :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool....well maybe I'll just throw an expansion valve in. I think they're pretty cheap...40 bucks or so?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't realize the extent of the job to replace an expansion valve...I'm reading things about having to take the entire dash off...that sucks. And...I don't do a proper system analysis using gauges and an experienced AC shop because that costs money which I don't have! :)

It's not the part, it's the labor, and it's not "throw in". Why don't you do a proper system analysis using gauges and an experienced A/C shop.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I don't do a proper system analysis using gauges and an experienced AC shop because that costs money which I don't have!
Well if you blindly replace the expansion valve, even if that turns out to be the problem, at some point you'll need to spend money to evac the system and recharge. If it turns out not to be the expansion valve you'll have wasted the "$40" for the part and the charges for evac and charge.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,831 Posts
i just replaced the expansion valve on my camry (i posted steps on here if you search). it was a bit of a pain, but knowing what i know now it can probably be done in about 3 hours. i dont think the new valve was even $40, but they system does need to be evacuated (about $50) and then vacuumed and recharged ($110). but if you are going to have the system evacuated, replace all of the o-rings (especially on the condenser - common leak point) and the dryer (about $30) too.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I've had to replace the expansion valve on a 1993 & 1995. Both times it was a 'Beach' to get to it !......First glove compartment, then wiring, then damper cable, then blower assy, then Evap cover, then Evap, then expansion valve off Evap, then replace All.
And that doesn't even cover freon drawdown, evacuation and recharge.!!!

Oh Yeah !!!!!!!! I forgot all about those O-rings and the dryer !!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
2001 Camry 4 cyl....AC is fully charged however intermittently it won't blow really cold air. Seems to occur on particularly hot days when the sun is beating down on the car consistently and it is very hot out....in the morning the AC is cold...and also in the evening....but if I put it on during mid-day in the baking sun it just never seems to get really cold. On days when it isn't quite so hot there seems to be no problem. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
I had the exact same problem and all the A/C system needed was a shot of refrigerant added to it. It's almost too cold now lol - during the hottest part of the day the thermometer in the dash vent drops to 45 degrees in five minutes of driving - that's how it's meant to work and should work.

How do you know your AC is fully charged? I would speculate that 92% of the time when the air is not cool enough in high temps - the system is simply low on refrigerant.

If your unsure of anything about the 'repair' just ask - don't just jump in as A/C systems can be dangerous!

·
Registered
412 Posts
i have had some problem with my old 97 corolla also.
it would show full on freon but wont blow cold air. i flushed the freon and refilled it.

now i am having the same problem with my 2001 camry
it would blow cold air in the morning and evening.
but when its sunny around 100k it wont be any close to cold air.

i wonder if i have to do the same thing to my camry also?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is completely dead now...has been since last summer....doesn't blow cold at all even though it is fully charged. I don't know what the problem is yet...I was going to put a new expansion valve in and see if that fixes the problem. Don't have the money to have it serviced by a shop. But..I just haven't found the time to do it yet, so have been driving it with no AC....not fun in the recent heat here in the Boston area...

i have had some problem with my old 97 corolla also.
it would show full on freon but wont blow cold air. i flushed the freon and refilled it.

now i am having the same problem with my 2001 camry
it would blow cold air in the morning and evening.
but when its sunny around 100k it wont be any close to cold air.

i wonder if i have to do the same thing to my camry also?

·
Registered
9 Posts
is there a diagram for the ac system? I believe i found the leak to be off a metal down tube going into the condensor.

i added too much freon and i think i blew an oring.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know? I'm sure you could probably find one online somewhere. Strangely enough mine cured itself after recharging it again about a month ago. I figured I'd try it again just for the hell of it...and it has been working great ever since. Very strange since I recharged it a couple of times at the end of last summer and that never made a difference, but now suddenly it works again after charging it again. Oh well...I'm not gonna question it!

is there a diagram for the ac system? I believe i found the leak to be off a metal down tube going into the condensor.

i added too much freon and i think i blew an oring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts