Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Solara 1999 – AC and Radio not working!!!

A few months ago I went to switch out a USB cable from behind the radio, accidentally touched one of the wires with the end of the new USB cable, there was a spark and the radio + ac has not worked since.

Turning on the ac when the car is running results in the ac button light blinking, engine shaking, and car sometimes not turning off. However, the dash lights, headlights, and cigarette lighter are working properly.

The (yellow +12v) constant power to the radio has power, the ground wire (black) is fine, but the (red +12v) ignition wire does not when testing with a multimeter. All fuses work and the (magnetic clutch) relay related to the ac works.

How can this problem be resolved?

What I can imagine is fixing the wire or adding a new wire that provides the power for the ac and radio but cannot find where the wires connect.

Are there other solutions? Does anyone have a diagram?

Here’s a link to the Toyota wiring manual. Let me know if I need to repost it.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/nIYli9akIGAP
Valid until: Aug 3, 2020

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
You have the wiring diagram, how do the AC and radio connect.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
Are there any common grounds? Circuits can be ground switched or positive switched.

·
Registered
1997 Camry LE 5S-FE Automatic Kentucky built
97 Posts

A few months ago I went to switch out a USB cable from behind the radio, accidentally touched one of the wires with the end of the new USB cable, there was a spark and the radio + ac has not worked since.

Turning on the ac when the car is running results in the ac button light blinking, engine shaking, and car sometimes not turning off. However, the dash lights, headlights, and cigarette lighter are working properly.

The (yellow +12v) constant power to the radio has power, the ground wire (black) is fine, but the (red +12v) ignition wire does not when testing with a multimeter. All fuses work and the (magnetic clutch) relay related to the ac works.

What I can imagine is fixing the wire or adding a new wire that provides the power for the ac and radio but cannot find where the wires connect.

Your IGN wire is the gray wire correct? It's connected to the RAD 2 fuse (7.5A) are you certain your getting power on both sides of the fuse?

The red wire is the factory rear right positive lead for the speaker if you have the amp built into the deck. If you have a seperate factory amp than the red wire is either the + for the amp, something titled 'BEEP', or + rear right speaker.

So the GRAY wire is you ACC +12V IGN wire.

·
Registered
97 Posts

How are you testing the magnetic clutch relay? If the car really bogs down and starts shaking than that sounds like the clutch is engaging. My a/c quit for awhile and all it did was blink, all I needed to do was tap the mag clutch relay with a screwdriver and it's worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I have read about a/c, if your rpms are dropping and the car is shaking than the clutch is engaging. Might be a bad clutch (stuck engaged, out of whack, seized, idk). I don't have alot of experience with a/c so I can't really help you diagnose and troubleshoot it. I can offer some links and videos to watch to help you learn how to though. Unless you'd rather just try randomly changing parts until it's fixed, lol, less frustrating but way more expensive.

What about your radio problem though? What voltage are you seeing at the gray wire when the cars on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your IGN wire is the gray wire correct? It's connected to the RAD 2 fuse (7.5A) are you certain your getting power on both sides of the fuse?

The red wire is the factory rear right positive lead for the speaker if you have the amp built into the deck. If you have a seperate factory amp than the red wire is either the + for the amp, something titled 'BEEP', or + rear right speaker.

So the GRAY wire is you ACC +12V IGN wire.

View attachment 306211 View attachment 306212
Using an aftermarket radio harness, sorry. The grey (ignition) wire has no power to it.

The rad2 fuse has no problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok so do a continuity test than a resistance test followed up by a voltage drop test on the IGN wire from the fuse to the wiring harness at radio. If the continuity test is no good than check the resistance. If the resistance is infinite (open) than that means the wire is broken or damaged somewhere and all you need to do is run a new wire from the fuse to your radio to keep it as factory as possible. The other option is to run a tap into am ACC wire and run that wire to your radio for its IGN wire. You can add a fuse inline if you'd like to keep it somewhat proper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For your a/c. Can you see your clutch engaged in the engine bay? The pulley will be turning with the engine but the very front of the housing (clutch) should also be turning when the a/c is engaged. Try having some turn the a/c on and off while you watch the compressor and see if the clutch is engaging and disengaging.

I imagine you've seen this video since you swapped the mg CLT and horn relays but you can see what I'm talking about when he's pointing at the compressor to show you that the clutch isn't engaged than after he swaps relays it is engaging.

This video

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I did all the tests and will need to add new lines. Which is no problem for the radio.

But I cant figure out where the wiring from the ac goes from the diagram to feed a new wire to the ac.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need to first figure out what the problem with the AC is. The radio and AC aren't connected in any fashion except through ground so it sounds like maybe a coincidence or possibly it's a blend door or similar malfunction. I'll take a look at the AC wiring and see if I can help you diag use what the issue is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Manual or automatic AC?

Here is a description of how manual works. Based on the description you can troubleshoot each area and find the cause of the issue.

AIR CONDITIONING OPERATIONWhen the blower SW is on, current flows from the HEATER fuse to the HTR relay (Coil side) to TERMINAL 3 of the blowerSW to TERMINAL 1 to GROUND, activating the HTR relay. This causes current to flow from the HTR fuse to the HTR relay(Point side) to A/C fuse to TERMINAL 2 of the A/C SW. If the A/C SW is turned on at this time, a signal is input into the A/Camplifier (1MZ±FE) or engine control module (5S±FE). This activates the A/C amplifier (1MZ±FE) or engine control module(5S±FE) and MG CLT relay so that current flows from the HEATER fuse to the MG CLT relay (Point side) to A/C magneticclutch. Causing The compressor to operate.When blower SW is on and heater control SW is at DEF position, it causes A/C to run whether A/C SW is on or not.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts

Turning on the ac when the car is running results in the ac button light blinking, engine shaking
Engine shaking is probably no idle up from AC.

and car sometimes not turning off.
So when you turn the key to off and pull it, the engine continues to run?

All fuses work and the (magnetic clutch) relay related to the ac works.
What fuse(s) blew when this first happened?

If you jump the mag clutch from the battery can you get the AC to work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At work, first chance to respond. Car will turn off if I try to leave ac on***

No fuses were blown on car or radio. So I believe it's a wiring issue.

Jump mag clutch does not result in ac working.

Also, if relevant the heater does work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts