Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Solara SLE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air coming out of my 99 Solara does not feel as cold as it should be. I'm trying to get the R134a recharge kit but the low side port is right under the SC pulley and belt and the big r134a quick snap connector does not go in the lowside port at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has done the AC recharge by yourself with the SC in the way and how did you do it. I'm looking for places to get a low profile coupler. TIA!

·
Registered
99 Camry
131 Posts
dude... just take it to a shop... those DIY recharge kits are known by the pros more as A/C death kits.

Just as with all the products promising to stop oil leaks, radiator leaks, etc... you get what you pay for, and if you try to [email protected]$$ in the front, you'll get screwed later.

NOTE: I'm not trying to discourage the DIYer, just that every Haynes/Chilton book will tell you to take it to a professional shop.

-Joel

Reactions: TheSilverStreak

·
Registered
99 Solara SLE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Haynes manual and the recharge procedure is fairly simple....looks like I have to take the to the shop anyway since I have no way to plug the connector to the low side port anyway due to the SC in the way. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am sure there must be a way to do it yourself. Some shops having a pressurised syetm can fill via high pressure indeed. I think you just should try to find a system to fill in normally. What is an "SC pulley" ?

joel_musicman said:
dude... just take it to a shop... those DIY recharge kits are known by the pros more as A/C death kits.

Just as with all the products promising to stop oil leaks, radiator leaks, etc... you get what you pay for, and if you try to [email protected]$$ in the front, you'll get screwed later.

NOTE: I'm not trying to discourage the DIYer, just that every Haynes/Chilton book will tell you to take it to a professional shop.

-Joel
Sorry but I disagree. I really don't get how these guys charge so much money for such a simple job. The "do-it-yourself kits" are quite good and should suffice to do it quite well too. As long as you do it safely (charge on the right side, get the right oil,...) you can do the job just as well as any professional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts