Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to the community.

My AC system in my 2013 Rav4 has been having issues for about 1.5 years. The dealer finally found a leak in the evaporator, which they repaired at 99.9K miles, just before my extended warranty expired. Well, once it began to warm up again in the spring, the AC was blowing hot air...

The dealer said it's the condenser now. Apparently material from the broken evaporator made its way to the condenser and caused it to fail. I'm at 104K miles and out of warranty, and they refuse to fix it even though the system was failing before the warranty expired. That's another story for another thread.

The dealer said they wanted to replace the condenser and the coolant lines that attach to the condenser. I plan to fix this myself because it's a fairly easy project and avoid the $1400 price tag they put on the job. The condenser is a no-brainer, but I'm curious about the lines. They aren't leaking so I'm wondering why they'd suggest this. Has anyone replaced these before, and if so, why?

Appreciate the insight!

·
Super Moderator
12,808 Posts
First off, welcome to the TN forums!

No, I haven't had any issues with my RAV, but having worked on other AC systems, I'd guess they're replacing the hoses because they *might* have some debris in them. But I would try flushing them out rather than replacing them. Also, the receiver/drier should be replaced anytime the system is opened up.

You might take it to an independent AC repair shop for a second opinion and quote. A Toyota dealership is about the most expensive place you could have do the job. Sometimes it's best if the diagnosis is tricky, but I don't think that's the case here.

Doing the replacement work yourself isn't difficult, but recharging the system requires some expertise and specialized equipment that is usually not considered DIY turf. The system needs to be vacuumed out, and the proper amount & type of lubricant needs to be replenished in addition to the refrigerant. So you might wanna give that job to a pro.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts