Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my reputable Toyota users.
I just installed AC on my 91Camry after proper engine inspection.
The issue at hand is that my engine thermostat is still working as usual (which is abnormal) cos I know the engine fans should be continues (steady blowing) when AC is on.

My question is...
What sensor can make the engine fan (radiator fan )to be continues when AC comes on; and go back to thermostat when AC is off?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,966 Posts
What engine do you have in your Camry? What country was it originally sold in? I'm assuming you have the 'lever' controlled HVAC system?

Anyway. There should be two fans on the radiator. In regular operation (just cooling the engine/radiator), they will both run in parallel at high speeds. When the AC compressor is powered, both run at low speed in series.

Check there are 3 relays that control your radiator fans - Radiator Fan Relay #1, AC Fan Relay #2, and AC Fan Relay #3. Or at least spots for all of those relays in the fuse box in the engine bay. If that is the case, I can walk you through where to apply 12V from the AC clutch to turn on the fans 'low' while the AC is active. The fans will still turn on HIGH if the coolant temp gets too high.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,966 Posts
Looks like you only have one fan on the radiator? The CDS fuse should be for the 'condenser' fan, which always runs with the radiator fan. Can you take a picture of the fan(s) behind the radiator and check if there is a round two pin plug with White and Red wires between the battery and radiator?

-Charlie

·
イリジウム
14,261 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but with the aftermarket AC system, I'm not sure all 3 relays are in place. If not, then the fan(s) might not operate as expected.

Anyway, on the operation of the radiator fan itself: Does the radiator fan come on when the AC is off and when the engine gets hot? There should be a radiator fan switch at the bottom of the radiator.

Follow that connector and cable, you might see another one near the left side of the radiator near the top side where it's easier to access (I'm not sure if that's available in your model). If you disconnect it, the radiator fan should run. Be careful of moving engine parts.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,966 Posts
There should be a radiator fan switch at the bottom of the radiator.
The radiator fan switch in on the gen2 Camry is on the water inlet neck, not the bottom of the radiator. Same deal though, fan(s) should run constantly if it is unplugged.

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The uploaded image is the type that should fit considering the number of pins and positions. But so far I’ve been able to see ones that have 8pins instead of 10 ( 2-2: 6 Pin arrangement) mine came with. Although I got that 8pin (1-2:5pin arrangement)AC amplifier from same model of car as mine( 89 Camry) .
Do you think there is a way to make is work on my considering the fact that the pins aren’t of same numbers and position??

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts