Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found in the post in 2004 that Punkrocker had the same problem with camry as I have now with mine.
Let me remind you:
94 Camry 2.2ltr 4Cyl Auto with 160k. the problem is when i floored it at about 4000 to 4500 rpm it starts loosing steam and doesnt accelerate. i have to lift off of the gas to let it shift to the next gear then apply gas after it shifts. the car just had the timing belt done."
The problems is mostly between 3 and 4 gear. (automatic trans.) and max. speed
is around 95miles/h. (it is allowed in Europe)
TPS - ok.
Cat - ok.
map sensor - ok.

Unfortunatelly I did not find what was the reason.
If somebody have any suggestions to solve this problem please let me know.

best wishes,
Tomas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nodrogkam said:
transmission giving out? slipping?

kept up with the tranny fluid change intervals? CHeck the fluid and smell if it's burnt or not.

Tranny oil is ok.
Doesn't smell burnt.
Transmission doesn't slipping because
I have no problem to accelerate from the stop.
Problem is when I passing 4000rpm.

Thanks for help

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,932 Posts
if you leave the car in park or nuetral, can the motor rev over 4000-4500 rpm?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DoubleEdgedWomb said:
You're driving an I4 slushbox at 95 mph. You expect any power beyond that point?
I don't need more speed.
Acceleration is a problem.
95 mph I can reach only on highway and it takes a lot of time.
As I know max.speed for I4 Camry is around 125mph and it is unreachable
for my car. So max speed around 95mph means that sth is wrong.

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
445 Posts
pull your distributor cap off and see if there's any white stuff (corrosion) on the terminals and rotor button. if so, either scratch it off with a screwdriver or even better, buy a new dizzy cap and/or rotor button. also, check for fuel leaks.

i had the same problem twice (once in a ford and the other in my celica). both times it was due to fuel leaks, but mine would do it in every single gear, not just top gear(s) so i'm leaning towards an electrical problem with yours... my dad's nissan had the same problem and a new rotor button fixed his problem.

DoubleEdgedWomb said:
You're driving an I4 slushbox at 95 mph. You expect any power beyond that point?
i'd expect an I4 gen3/gen4 camry to do well over 100mph without any issues. my 3S-GE felt like it was in the start of powerband on 5th gear at around 100mph but i wasn't game enough to go any faster on the highway i was on (that's 160Km/h and our limit is 110 over here). Yes, it's in a celica but it's a similar engine.

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
I had a similar problem... I ened up haveing a bad shift seliniod which ended up burning up 3rd Gear... Take your car in to a good tranny shop and have them check those out... your car has 4... odds are it's just one... but if you let it go to long you'll get a nasty CEL for shift seliniod malfunction...

Or i could be way off and it could be something diffrent... a lot of things can cause a lack of acceleration in certian gears but the clue to me is the fact it doesn't shoft on it's own to 4th... or what ever gear you said it was...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.