Toyota Nation Forum banner

Acceleration delay, 2016 Camry

11146 17
I have a 2016 Camry. When I need to accelerate fast, like when merging onto the freeway, here's what happens: I push the gas pedal down hard, and the tachometer shoots up to 5,000 or higher but there is no immediate acceleration. I have to let off the gas to get the RPMs down and the car accelerates moderately, not fast.

There are times when you need to move quickly for your own safety. My manual transmission Hondas always had a burst of speed available if you needed it. Not this Camry.

Could there be something wrong with my transmission, or is this normal? My car has 26,000 miles so it's about to go out of warranty.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
12,447 Posts
That's because the Camry has a electronic "drive by wire." No longer the direct cable like in the old days.

It's one of the weak points in new Toyotas. My celica was a direct cable throttle and it took off like a rocket when you barely press the gas.

I suggest you try changing it in lower gear before you mash the gas to go faster. It will react quicker.

· Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,900 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. I would be at the dealership today getting it looked at while still under warranty...

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Stomp it to the floor and hold it there.

There's often a 1 second delay after the transmission downshifts before the engine ramps power back up, as if it's waiting for the transmission to be ready. It's very annoying, but it's normal.

Sometimes the transmission will downshift 2 gears, and then finally go down another as you're trying to actually dart out in traffic. Driving in "S" mode if it's a SE/XSE helps speed up the sleepy transmission response a small bit.

· Registered
1995 XLE
2,670 Posts
Stomp it to the floor and hold it there.

There's often a 1 second delay after the transmission downshifts before the engine ramps power back up, as if it's waiting for the transmission to be ready. It's very annoying, but it's normal.

Sometimes the transmission will downshift 2 gears, and then finally go down another as you're trying to actually dart out in traffic. Driving in "S" mode if it's a SE/XSE helps speed up the sleepy transmission response a small bit.
So after many years of DBW Toyota still hasn't fixed this problem or the transmissions either? So glad my throttle is connected by a cable.
W95c

· Registered
2,013 Posts
So after many years of DBW Toyota still hasn't fixed this problem or the transmissions either? So glad my throttle is connected by a cable.
W95c
Depends on the car I guess. I don't know if it's the 6-speed autos or just the fuel-economy oriented programming. The 6-speed Taco/Camry are very slow to respond to throttle inputs. The 5-speed Highlander V6 will instantly drop gears and MOVE.

· Honda-Tech White Ops
2,015 Posts
I just hate the delay between shifts..

i goto turn, drop it in 2nd, wait ... wait... then finally when im out of the turn it decides to kick to 2nd.

Ive had to adapt to the slow response time of the "paddle" shifters and shift early so i know im able to gas out of the turn.

When using the manual mode, it should be fraction of a delay. but I guess what do you expect when driving a family sedan like a sports car.

· Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,270 Posts
Get a V6 ... it will solve everything :grin:

Jokes aside ...

I find my '10 Corolla 1.8L and my '15 Camry 3.5L V6 has a second or two dely when flooring it.

Like if I put the pedal to the floor and hold it, after a second or two, there is the burst in speed.

It's tuned more towards economy than "sportiness" feel

· Registered
2012 Camry
100 Posts
unplug battery for 10 min. should stall the first time if ecu re-programs. then drive your style to program fuel and voltage maps.

· Premium Member
2001 Corolla
558 Posts
I had the same problem with 2014 camry known fix is getting "SMART ACCEL CONTROLLER" from http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index.php/electronics/smart-controller/smart-accel-controller.html and also will need to get this harness http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/inde...ontroller-harness-2012-2014-toyota-camry.html. not sure if this thing works for 2016 Camry

matter of fact i had started same thread on here about a year ago talking about the same issue here is the thread:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...mart-accel-controller-harness-2014-camry.html

· TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
12,447 Posts
Hi - did you sort this out?

My 2014 Camry V6 - lots of power in the engine, but same problem.
It's normal. That's how Toyota's drive-by-wire system is. If you want quicker response, put it in "sport" mode by moving the shifter to the left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.