Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I say, not easily scared but was scared today. Driving my V6 2009 Venza, merging into 403W from Dundas going from work. Car merging in front of me was going pretty slowly so I pushed gas very hard and pulled into left lane to pass. Went from about 80km/h to probably 120-125. But all of a sudden I realized that car is speeding without me pushing gas anymore. I started braking, car would very hesitantly respond but every time I would release brake it would accelerate to 130 again. I was lucky that there were absolutely no cars in the left lane in front of me. It took more than a kilometer (will check for sure tomorrow the distance) before after my 4th or fifth attempt car slowed to around 80 and stopped accelerating. By this time my emergency brake light was solidly on (haven't pressed it). NOTHING TO DO WITH MATS, it felt like pure electronics. Merged into QEW and stopped on the side. Turned engine off and on and light disappeared. Called several dealirships, mine was the only one that had service open until 8:00PM so left the car with them (hoped they could look right there but they were busy, I am not sure even they are touching it before somebody from Toyota engineering checks it first.
Ictually had very similar experience when I was merging into heavy traffic in a business park and pushed gas pedal hard to go from 0 to 50 about 9 months ago. But blew it off because car did respond to brakes. Thought may be something after reading recall info. Not this time, at least 20-25 seconds gave me plenty of time to think what was happening.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1) Neutral
2) Do not pump the brakes as you may lose them. Press and hold firm
3) Last resort, press and hold start button for keyless or position II to turn engine off but not lock up the steering. Even in D (drive) position, the car will coast.

·
Registered
451 Posts
grv is correct. This information was posted, printed & broadcast pretty much everywhere when this acceleration issue first appeared.
Only warning, if you kill the ignition, you will loose power steering and power brakes (I think).

Putting it in neutral is the best thing to do since the rev limiter will prevent the engine from over-revving and self destructing while still retaining brakes & steering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What can I say, not easily scared but was scared today. Driving my V6 2009 Venza, merging into 403W from Dundas going from work. Car merging in front of me was going pretty slowly so I pushed gas very hard and pulled into left lane to pass. Went from about 80km/h to probably 120-125. But all of a sudden I realized that car is speeding without me pushing gas anymore. I started braking, car would very hesitantly respond but every time I would release brake it would accelerate to 130 again. I was lucky that there were absolutely no cars in the left lane in front of me. It took more than a kilometer (will check for sure tomorrow the distance) before after my 4th or fifth attempt car slowed to around 80 and stopped accelerating. By this time my emergency brake light was solidly on (haven't pressed it). NOTHING TO DO WITH MATS, it felt like pure electronics. Merged into QEW and stopped on the side. Turned engine off and on and light disappeared. Called several dealirships, mine was the only one that had service open until 8:00PM so left the car with them (hoped they could look right there but they were busy, I am not sure even they are touching it before somebody from Toyota engineering checks it first.
Ictually had very similar experience when I was merging into heavy traffic in a business park and pushed gas pedal hard to go from 0 to 50 about 9 months ago. But blew it off because car did respond to brakes. Thought may be something after reading recall info. Not this time, at least 20-25 seconds gave me plenty of time to think what was happening.
Have you had the Brake Override recall performed yet? If not, I recommend you do so ASAP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
robertag
Putting it in Neutral sounds reasonable to me but I remember when reading about the recalls last spring there were as many opinions against neutral as for it (it very well may have changed). Do you have anything official from Toyota on that?

Zembonez
"UUUUUH. Common sense?"
It would be nice if what you are writing sounded a little less condescending.
These steps may very well help but...
After realizing that car accelerates on it's own (2 may be 3 cycles) I started pressing brakes hard.Or are you the one who is breaking on a highway by flooring the brakes? Also remember that the car did respond, so killing ignition? How am I supposed to know what will be happening to brakes once the engine is dead and I will not be worse off? Also remember that you are right now sitting in front of a computer, I was in the vehicle.

dcrossnine
Funny thing you mentioned that. The only recall notice I received was very specific is that recall was for the Toyota all-season mats and you should perform it if you are using above mentioned accessory. Or something to that affect. Of course now the dealer mentioned that there is a pedal shave off and (most importantly in my opinion) the software to make brake a priority over gas

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
102 Posts
dcrossnine
Funny thing you mentioned that. The only recall notice I received was very specific is that recall was for the Toyota all-season mats and you should perform it if you are using above mentioned accessory. Or something to that affect. Of course now the dealer mentioned that there is a pedal shave off and (most importantly in my opinion) the software to make brake a priority over gas
Last year a noticed was sent out to everyone who owned a 2009 Venza for the pedal repair, not a recall but a TSB which the tech will modify the gas pedal and change the floor mats.

The Venza 2010 was already done at the plant, while building them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last year a noticed was sent out to everyone who owned a 2009 Venza for the pedal repair, not a recall but a TSB which the tech will modify the gas pedal and change the floor mats.

The Venza 2010 was already done at the plant, while building them.
You have to remember that recalls were different between US and Canada which added to the confusion I think. I was doing an oil change around July and nothing was mentioned about recalls. It was also originally mentioned that Canadian mats were different and didn't have an issue.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Zembonez
"UUUUUH. Common sense?"
It would be nice if what you are writing sounded a little less condescending.
These steps may very well help but...
After realizing that car accelerates on it's own (2 may be 3 cycles) I started pressing brakes hard.Or are you the one who is breaking on a highway by flooring the brakes? Also remember that the car did respond, so killing ignition? How am I supposed to know what will be happening to brakes once the engine is dead and I will not be worse off? Also remember that you are right now sitting in front of a computer, I was in the vehicle.
Condescending?

Nope. It's just common sense. This keeps brake and steering systems in full operation. Put the vehicle in neutral and steer to a safe spot, stop, then kill the engine.

No worries about running up to high speed several times. No worries about the brakes. It just makes sense. No cut on you at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
While none of us are in a position to verify what you experienced, as none of us were there...I am personally very surprised that you didn't put the car in Neutral, or shut off the Ignition, after all the media coverage, Toyota's suggestions, and discussions about what to do if you experienced "Unintended Acceleration".

And you said "...I had enough time to check that and the pedal itself wasn't stuck or anything. At least the part of it that is on the outside"

Really? Your car was accelerating without you pushing on the gas, and you had time to check the pedal to see if it was stuck, but wouldn't put the car in neutral?

·
Registered
451 Posts
While none of us are in a position to verify what you experienced, as none of us were there...I am personally very surprised that you didn't put the car in Neutral, or shut off the Ignition, after all the media coverage, Toyota's suggestions, and discussions about what to do if you experienced "Unintended Acceleration".

And you said "...I had enough time to check that and the pedal itself wasn't stuck or anything. At least the part of it that is on the outside"

Really? Your car was accelerating without you pushing on the gas, and you had time to check the pedal to see if it was stuck, but wouldn't put the car in neutral?
You gotta remember that different people react differently under pressure. Even if you know what you SHOULD do doesn't mean that you will when the time comes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
grv
What are you basing these recommendations on?
When I first got the car, I decided that I needed to be informed in the off chance that it happens to me, or worse, my wife. There is a YouTube video on it, and it happens to be in a Venza. :thumbsup:

The important thing in the video is not to pump the brakes but to apply increasing steady pressure - both feet if you have to.

If the brakes are not responding or not slowing the car down enough then let off the brakes and put the car in neutral and coast to a safe place to pull off.

As a last resort, turn the engine off. Be careful not to turn the key all the way off on a key ignition as you may lock up the steering. Yes, you will lose power steering and power brakes. And, yes, the car will be very heavy to brake and steer but you will be able to do both. No, you will not ruin your transmission or the wheels will lock up if your still in D (drive) as the car will simply coast.

I did take the time to try turning off the engine (on a safe road of course) to know how the car reacted. And so that I would know how to turn the engine off for the keyless ignition.

It is hard to say how we will react in a panic situation but you did have a foreshadowing of a possible future event. I would like to think that my first reaction would be to slow down the vehicle not about my wax job or how much my deductible is. I would grind the car against the guardrail if I thought it would safely slow down the car. I hope they start mandating brake overrides on all cars as it just makes sense.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Not knocking the OP here but knowing how to operate a vehicle and being able to react in a panic situation should be mandatory training before somebody is allowed to operate a 3000 pound plus chunk of metal in my general direction. Ignorance or inability is simply not a valid excuse when you are operating something that can easily put your life and other lives at risk.

We need more personal responsibility in this country. Everything here is always "somebody elses fault"

·
Registered
116 Posts
You gotta remember that different people react differently under pressure. Even if you know what you SHOULD do doesn't mean that you will when the time comes.
I agree with this 100%. However, the OP had the presence of mind to confirm that the pedal wasn't stuck...so, I am not sure how much "pressure" he was under. He even stated that he had "plenty of time to think what was happening". With all the publicity around at the time this became "big news", how could the OP NOT know what to do to gain control of his car? ... I believe we are missing something here.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with this 100%. However, the OP had the presence of mind to confirm that the pedal wasn't stuck...so, I am not sure how much "pressure" he was under. He even stated that he had "plenty of time to think what was happening". With all the publicity around at the time this became "big news", how could the OP NOT know what to do to gain control of his car? ... I believe we are missing something here.
Maybe he bought his Venza after all this "blew over", or could be he's just not interested in automotive news...
Or maybe I should just let him answer.;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Condescending?

Nope. It's just common sense. This keeps brake and steering systems in full operation. Put the vehicle in neutral and steer to a safe spot, stop, then kill the engine.

No worries about running up to high speed several times. No worries about the brakes. It just makes sense. No cut on you at all.
IF you would read suggestion from Toyota carefully you'd see that killing the engine has nothing to do with stopping safely. As a matter of last resort they are recommending killing engine while the car is accelerating. It may be absolutely right (probably is) but common sense?!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.