Toyota Nation Forum banner

acceleration shimmy

1779 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Sniperdude
my 94 camry under acceleration from about 45 to 55 mph has a bad shimmy, you can really feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel, during this 45 to 55 mph threshold of acceleration, if i let off the gas halfway through it stops and feels smooth just coasting, until i hit the gas again....shaking. 60+ mph the shaking goes away, i'm perplexed. i rotated my tires and that didn't seem to work, any advice?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Mine does it too ever since an accident I was in a few years ago. Was the car ever involved in an accident? I'm guessing I've got something slightly bent out of shape.

I have a slight transmission leak too and the problem seems to be much worse when low on tranny fluid. Try topiing it up.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dchriste said:
is it only under acceleration.. say if you let off the gas between 45-55mph at 50 mph does it shimmy until 45 mph or ONLY under load?
just under acceleration, full stop....0 about 40 verry slight shimmy, i hafto pay attention to it to even notice it, when i hit about 45 the car starts shaking bad, up until...say highway speed...65. around 60 it levels out, and the shimmy is barely noticeable.

i'll try to be as accurate as possible about the exact conditions

i accelerate to the shimmy...aroung 45, 55 mph,
while it's shaking i let off the gas...and it feels fine..it just coasts at 45-55, a very faint shake, but the minute i re-apply the gas around that 45-55 threshold it starts shaking really bad again, until highway speed...60+ then it's fine

i hope it's nothing major, i don't really feel like getting under my car during the winter and messing with it in an apartment complex parking space....:sosad:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fredk said:
its a worn out inner axle joint, mine is the same way, check the motor mounts too
the motor mounts are kinda bad, but they were in the same condition when i bought it two years ago, this problem started gradually about a month ago.

is a inner axle joint hard to replace DIY, or should i take it to a mechanic?

· 5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
602 Posts
CKlosi said:
just under acceleration, full stop....0 about 40 verry slight shimmy, i hafto pay attention to it to even notice it, when i hit about 45 the car starts shaking bad, up until...say highway speed...65. around 60 it levels out, and the shimmy is barely noticeable.

i'll try to be as accurate as possible about the exact conditions

i accelerate to the shimmy...aroung 45, 55 mph,
while it's shaking i let off the gas...and it feels fine..it just coasts at 45-55, a very faint shake, but the minute i re-apply the gas around that 45-55 threshold it starts shaking really bad again, until highway speed...60+ then it's fine

i hope it's nothing major, i don't really feel like getting under my car during the winter and messing with it in an apartment complex parking space....:sosad:
I had something like this. It was the CV joint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.