Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this similar question posted several times, but I still cannot find a good answer. I am putting some subs and an amp in my truck and I want to have the remote line ran through an "on/off" switch. At the same time, my cousin is installing some flashing lights (he is on the fire department). He also wants to control the lights through an "on/off" switch. We both want to take advantage of the dummy spots available. Can anyone list some places where i can purchase these switches. They do not have to be factory switches, but I would like to them to look half way nice. One place I have found for rocker switches is http://www.4x4mods.com/ These switches are supposed to be for a jeep but i believe they will fit. Does anyone else have any other ideas on how i can get a good looking switch or button for these dummy spots? Thanks a lot!

Jason

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
The switches from 4x4mods.com will fit. That's what I'm using. (check my CarDomain)

The only thing you have to do to get the switches to fit is shave a little plastic out of the back of the mounting hole. If you pop out the switch blanks and look in the hole you will see a little nub that sticks down on the top side of the back of the hole. Just shave it off. It takes like 30 seconds to do. I used a sharp wood chisel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but my question is sort of related (in reverse). Will those switches from 4x4mods work to replace the factory fog light switch? It bugs me that there is no fog light indicator light when they're switched on and a switch light would do the trick.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
yeah, they would fit. You'd just have to cut the stock switch harness and figure out which wire goes where.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pb,

Did you purchase those switches directly off of www.4x4mods.com? The website gives me an error when I "proceed to checkout". I was just checking to see if there was another vendor that sells the same product?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought a stock fog light switch and painted the cover black, so it would look like a dummy cover. I used it for my on/off for my radar detector. It's a simple switch with 4 prongs. The two top prongs are in/out for your device while the two bottom ones I believe are the power and ground for the switch light.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
jdavis said:
Pb,

Did you purchase those switches directly off of www.4x4mods.com? The website gives me an error when I "proceed to checkout". I was just checking to see if there was another vendor that sells the same product?

Anyone else?
I'm not PB, but I pretend to be when he is away...

FWIW- I orderd (3) of these switches from this vendor's ebay store on Jan. 4th. I just got an email from him this morning saying that the SPST switches were back in stock and that they have been having some trouble with their email and receiving orders (something about a filter). They mailed my switches out on Friday and he said they should be up and running again by tomorrow or the next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. This is helping a lot.

Another few questions.

1. If you order a switch from there and get the "blank" version so there is no picture, will it have lights on thh bottom and the top of the switch?

2. Do all of the switches look the same from the outside (SPDT, DPDT, etc..)

3. If you get the On/Off version instead of the On/Off/On, what lights actually light up? From the example on the website, the top light illuminates when it gets flipped up and the bottom light ligths up when you flip down. I'm guessing on the On/Off version, you can only flip one way. Does that mean both lights come on? Or do the switches look totally different?

Thanks for all the help,

Jason

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
Factory switches with connectors and pigtails are available from trdparts4u.com. I just added a second fog light switch to run the driving lights.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
jdavis said:
Thanks guys. This is helping a lot.

Another few questions.

1. If you order a switch from there and get the "blank" version so there is no picture, will it have lights on thh bottom and the top of the switch?

2. Do all of the switches look the same from the outside (SPDT, DPDT, etc..)

3. If you get the On/Off version instead of the On/Off/On, what lights actually light up? From the example on the website, the top light illuminates when it gets flipped up and the bottom light ligths up when you flip down. I'm guessing on the On/Off version, you can only flip one way. Does that mean both lights come on? Or do the switches look totally different?

Thanks for all the help,

Jason
I'm not sure about the blank switch. It probably has lights.

All the switches look the same, except for the angle of the switch when engaged. I think the SPST switches only have one big light at the top. A SPST only has two positions, on & off, which means that the switch will be angled either up or down. The DPDT switches have 3 positions. The off position faces straight, like in the picture I posted ^. In the Off postion the DPDT switch looks better than the SPST switch. The SPST switch looks weird in the Off position. It's angled down, and you can't really see the label on the switch.

Since all the switches are the same price I always get DPDT switches. You can use a DPDT switch to control two accessories. A SPST switch can only control one accessory. So you might as well get the DPDT switch, and just leave the extra terminals unused until later. If you add another accessory then you won't have to buy another switch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Flat Spot said:
I bought a stock fog light switch and painted the cover black, so it would look like a dummy cover. I used it for my on/off for my radar detector. It's a simple switch with 4 prongs. The two top prongs are in/out for your device while the two bottom ones I believe are the power and ground for the switch light.
So . . . .does this mean that the stock fog light switches in our trucks are pinned to light up and just not wired?

Anybody ever wired one to light up?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Yeah, the stock switch light is always on, even if the foglights are Off. When I get time I plan on taking the switch apart and modding it so that the light will only come On when the foglights are On.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Yeah, the main reason I like the 4x4mods switches is because of the labels. They have some cool labels available. Plus the choice of light colors. And they're only $9.99 each.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pb said:
Yeah, the stock switch light is always on, even if the foglights are Off. When I get time I plan on taking the switch apart and modding it so that the light will only come On when the foglights are On.
Yeah, that's what I'm wanting

·
Runnin' With the Pack
2015 Tacoma
165 Posts
Pb said:
Pb, do these switches work in sub zero temps? I ask because my PIAA light switch does not work below zero.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
toysareus said:
Pb, do these switches work in sub zero temps? I ask because my PIAA light switch does not work below zero.
I guess so. :confused: I didn't know a switch wouldn't work in a certain temperature. It is just a peice of copper that moves from one terminal to the other.

Have you experienced this issue with the switch, or is it just something you read in the manual?

Maybe the PIAA switch has some circuitry in it that is sensative to temperature. :dunno:

The 4x4mods switch shouldn't have any problems with temperature. I don't think they have any electronics in them, except for the LEDs. I don't think LEDs are affected by temperature. And even if the LEDs didn't work, the switch would still function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes switches can fail at low temperatures if there is excess moisture on the switch and it freezes.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Ah, I see. I guess some electrical grease inside the switch would solve that problem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts