Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up guys...(2005 tacoma access cab)

im the biggest moron in the world. i decided to change my own oil in the morning. so when i went under the car i drained what i THOUGHT looked like the oil pan. btw the oil pan is KINDA hiden under the stock skid plate. you kinda have to look for it. the transmission pan looks like an oil pan, like on hondas. so be careful.

so if you happened to drain the transmission, it is quite simple to fix. the transmission is directly shift knob and it kinda looks like a huge ice cream cone (you will see if when you are under). on the passenger side there is a huge screw 24mm. you can purchase this at your local hardware store for like 15 bucks. simply unscrew that and pump your transmission fluid until it gushes out. if your transmission was completely empty of fluid, i believe it would be four and a half bottles. you also have to buy a pump which can be found at the auto store. it kinda like a lotion bottle pump with tubing. stck that tube in the 24mm hole and pump. the reason you wait until it gushes so that you dont over flow it with fluid. the whole process is idiot proof if you know what you are doing. tell you the truth there is no way you can mess up

it took me like 8 hours to fix because i couldnt find any anwsers during my research. eventually i found it, and it would probably take 15 min now that i know whtt i am doing. l forgot what kind of transmission i use.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Im not sure why people make this mistake. Im not saying your a mooron. But if you lay under the truck and look up the trans pan is attached to a transmission not a motor.

there has allready been a few threads where this was discussed in depth.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
lotust said:
Im not sure why people make this mistake. Im not saying your a mooron. But if you lay under the truck and look up the trans pan is attached to a transmission not a motor.

there has allready been a few threads where this was discussed in depth.
What is a "Mooron"? Is that like a really dumb cow?:)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess Toyota should put a warning sticker under there, like they do for everything else inside the cab....

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
+1 on previous threads - In fact, you could have saved yourself a lot of that research time if you'd searched TN first.

I've not reviewed the procedure myself, but my recollection was that proper filling of the tranny was more complicated than you describe. Not that it can't be done by anybody, but you didn't list a number of steps noted in the earlier threads. I think you should go back and SEARCH and read the complete procedure. (Actually, it may be in one of the stickys on servicing.)

Secondly -hopefully you did use the special WS transmission fluid. It is not compatible with Dexron, Ford, or Chrysler fluids. (It concerns me that, in the absence of your seeing it in the earlier threads, you didn't comment on it.) If you did not use the proper fluid, you'll need to do a much more complicated flush. (Normal drain empties the pan, but much remains in the torque converter and elsewhere.)

Lastly, the easiest way to avoid the mistake is to enter from under the front bumper, not from behind the front wheels. If you go under at the radiator, you'll clearly see the engine drain plug first.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
The oil pan on this truck is not as big, flat, and obvious as the oil pans on most vehicles. That's probably why it happens.

Just remember this: The oil pan is in front of the crossmember. The transmission is behind the crossmember.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Pb said:
The oil pan on this truck is not as big, flat, and obvious as the oil pans on most vehicles. That's probably why it happens.
Just remember this: The oil pan is in front of the crossmember. The transmission is behind the crossmember.
Yeppers. I just did my first oil change and have to admit that I was slightly confused when I crawled under to drain the oil. The oil pan on my V6 Taco is not like what I was used to seeing. It looks like most of the oil is actually located in an aluminum lower casing. The drain plug is on a small pan that extends below the casing. I guess it's this way to strengthen the aluminum block.

I was like, "wtf?" Then I went, "ok, the tranny is there and the engine is there so this must be it".

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pb said:
True... But, There are those in the the world who should never own tools... When I did my first oil change I could "Clearly" see the 2 drain plugs..

here's a hint:
An engine does not have a driveshaft going into it!!!!!!!!!!!;) ;)

·
Gil
2006 Tocama 4X4
211 Posts
Ahh, give the guy a break. I will admit that I had to look twice, allbeit briefly. That oil pan is tiny compared to most. If you should make an ASSumtion and not look up past the massive, in your face pan and notice that it is attached to the tranny, it is not too hard to see how it can happen. I am sure it happens more than is confessed. Think twice, turn once! I learned the hard way a long time ago.:rolleyes:

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
+1 - who hasn't made a mistake like that.
(I'll wager most have done nothing or are liars.)

But again, if you go from the front of the vehicle, the engine drain is
very obvious. I've got to think most make the mistake by starting from behind the front wheels.

OTOH- I've heard several stories of mechanics draining the tranny with it up on a rack where you can see it all. (But I'd bet they walked under the vehicle from the side, not the front.)

·
Runnin' With the Pack
2015 Tacoma
165 Posts
I wonder how many Toy techs made this mistake when this V6 first came out? :eek:

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AC 4x4
217 Posts
After reading all the stories of people draining their trans fluid, I was paraniod as hell the first time I changed the oil on mine. After I was positve I had the right plug, I still smelt the oil coming out to make sure it wasn't ATF.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
06TRDSport said:
After reading all the stories of people draining their trans fluid, I was paraniod as hell the first time I changed the oil on mine. After I was positve I had the right plug, I still smelt the oil coming out to make sure it wasn't ATF.
I have to admit that even after I identified the oil drain bolt a little bit of panic did set in when I caught a glimpse of the oil through the light and it looked red! For a second there I thought "oh sh!t".

But there was a time when I was not so sure of myself. I still remember the first time I ever did an oil change when I was 20 years old. I was so proud of myself. I was finishing up the job, pouring the 5 quarts of Penzoil and tightening the oil cap. But then when I went to close the hood I noticed something streaking down the driveway. Then I saw it and my heart skipped a beat. The drain plug was still sitting on the air cleaner. Oops. :sosad:

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
toysareus said:
I wonder how many Toy techs made this mistake when this V6 first came out? :eek:
If a tech mistakenly drains the tranny on any vehicle regardless of what the engine oil pan looks like they have no business being a tech. A tranny is very identifiable, as is its location in relation to where the engine should be. I can understand making this mistake if your not mechanically inclined, but there is no way a certified tech should make that type of mistake. That would be like a gynecologist confusing a butt hole for a vagina.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AC 4x4
217 Posts
Adventure North said:
If a tech mistakenly drains the tranny on any vehicle regardless of what the engine oil pan looks like they have no business being a tech. A tranny is very identifiable, as is its location in relation to where the engine should be. I can understand making this mistake if your not mechanically inclined, but there is no way a certified tech should make that type of mistake. That would be like a gynecologist confusing a butt hole for a vagina.

Excellent analogy. I had the same reaction as dl with the sun hitting the oil making look red, thats why I smelt it to make sure I hadn't fucked up.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Adventure North said:
:naughty:

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Adventure North said:
LOL great stuff.

·
07 Double Cab 4x4 OR
191 Posts
This website provides a lot of information on doing many mods and some difficult maintenance which I think makes many novice "shadtree mechanics" feel like they can handle any task. Like the saying goes "It is always easier said then done". :thumbup:

Don't feel bad, there is nothing wrong with throwing $30.00 out the window for new tranny fluid. You always learn from your mistakes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts