Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was driving one day (about 40 mph) and i was fooling around with the shift and i moved up to the reverse on accident..the car jerked and then i instantly put it back into drive, and then stopped the car, then i checked evrything to make sure it was okay, and it started and drove fine, i was just wondering if anything that i did might of made some damage that is not noticable?

i know i know, it was stupid, and a complete accident...thaknks for your help

ps, this was about 5 months ago, and the car is driving fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Luckily for you, the tranny has a self defence mechanism that wouldn't allow it to shift into reverse at such a high speed. There was no damage done, but if that sytem had failed you would have been picking it up in pieces.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
i did mine at about 15 MPH from Dto N and to R...didnt do any noticeable damage. it made the car die tho, motor stalled.. car came to a COMPLETE halt. i was used to driving a stick at the time and i reached over to grab the stick and nudged the selector...oops:eek:

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah when i did it it came to a jerking stop and i thought it died, at the time all i was doing was banging my head on the seat, cause i thought i broke something really bad..

thanks for your guy's input btw

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
If you drive in one direction at 5-10mph floor it and shift you'll leave loooong blackmarks going both directions.
In other news, check the fluid for metal bits. If there are none and the fluid is burnt up, flush it. If the fluid is fine no harm no foul.

That probably is hell on your halfshaft tho, don't do that anymore that was dumb.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i think we can all agree that it was dumb lol

thanks guys for your help.

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
imagine if you throw it to reverse while on the freeway, dam ..it just gives me chills even tho you were going at low speeds...:(

·
Official TN P.I.M.P.
98 Toyota Camry
179 Posts
Yeah, you lucky. My boy's dad had a 93 mustang GT that he hooked up. It was a five speed. He was out on the freeway one day trying to hit top speed. At 145 mph, he went to shift from 4th to 5th, but accidently slipped into 3rd. All over the place, what a mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts