Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started removing the "DX" badge off my 91 camry and found out it was held on with adhesive. I thought this would make the job a whole lot harder. Once I managed to scrape off all of the adhesive, there is this really wierd outline in the paint and it looks like DX. I grabbed some polishing compound and worked at it for an hour! It still looks aweful.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I think that the outline may be deeper that the clear coat, but I don't know so thats why i am asking.

·
Registered
785 Posts
get some of that auto detailing clay kits from a detailing store.... follow the directions, thats the best way to do that.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Just be aware as you remove paint, you will be removing from around the area too. You may end up with a light spot that would really suck.

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Is it an outline or just that the paint and clear are less weathered? I would imagine that the paint and clear look almost brand new under the DX emblem, and everything around it would look dull and faded in comparison.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
if buffing doesnt work, mayb wet sanding with VERY high grain sandpaper might work:thumbup:

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mikey21 said:
Is it an outline or just that the paint and clear are less weathered? I would imagine that the paint and clear look almost brand new under the DX emblem, and everything around it would look dull and faded in comparison.
well, yes and no. the paint looks very fresh but there is an outline where it appears that there isn't any clearcoat...

·
Owner of Prius V & others
00 Solara - 07 Vitz
2,054 Posts
I actually had the same problem for my car .. On each side of it where it said SE V6. When I took them off I noticed where the dirt had got under the clear coat around where it had the emblem... Basically it looked like they put the clear coat on after the emblems where put on.

And since my car is not nearly as old as yours I buffed and scrubbed and buffed some more and finally got most of it out.

However if you get right up ontop of it you can notice it if you are anal like myself.

So I can just imagine what yours looks like if your has been there for 13 years. If it's to much work to strip off the clear coat around the car and do it again then I would just recomend putting your emblems back on.

-Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts