Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm curious about how will be the new Highlander with the 3.5. In the RAV4 it's not too bad, especially comparing with the Honda CRV or the Chevrolet equinox and both have about 90 hp less than the RAV4 !!!!!

It also depends what kind of AWD Toyota has prepared for the 08....

·
Registered
224 Posts
We get around close to 20 on good days with our 3.0 awd limited. By the way, what is your top speed when cruising the freeway/highway? This can be a big impact on how mpg are calculated. Most of the time we cruise around 80 mph on freeway. Slower would improve mpg

kamrhee

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
city/highway/traffic
my mom gets around 20mpg v6 2wd 3.3L
She hits about 3K rpm 1st gear when no traffic. Frequent user of A/C (less so in the winter).

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
mileage

I get about 20 mixed and about 24 on the highway with an 05 3.3L 4wd. I also run premium fuel exclusively. I seem to have lost some mileage lately (I have 15k) and I wonder if it's because the gas companies increased the methanol content in the gas around here for the winter. I THINK they run around 10% alcohol. I've seen tests in some car magazines with cars that can use E85 gas versus non-E85 gas and the mileage definitely suffers - a lot actually, with E85, so more alcohol, worse mileage. I recall a 20mpg vehicle with regular gas dropped to below 18mpg running the same routes in a controlled test.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You might want to run regular during the winter. It may improve mileage since it burns hotter than premium and therefore engine may get up to temp slightly faster.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
premium

Yeah it is true that you usually get better mileage with regular, but I'm a power slut <grin>. I believe that Toyota's engine management computer cranks in more timing advance when you run premium, since detonation (pinging) occurs later with high-test. In my year, 05, the 3.3 was rated 230 hp. In 06 and 07, it was downrated to 215, and I think the reason was that the government made some changes in testing requirements and specified more normal octane requirements. I've NEVER run regular in mine, but my wife has an 04 Lexus RX330 that uses the same drivetrain as the HL 3.3, and one time I drove her car and it didn't feel it's usual powerful self. She confessed that she had recently filled up with regular, to save some bucks. I think there's a very noticeable difference between regular and premium, but as I said before, I'm a power slut.

·
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suggestion

1. Power slut sounds very effeminate.

2. I've run premium in our 06 V6 AWD for 3-5 fillups in a row and then regular for 3-5 fillups in a row. No pinging or knocking with regular but the buildup of power isn't as fast or as smooth. Same thing with my mother in law's Avalon, if she's out of town and I drive it I put in premium, she always puts in regular and it feels 'smoother.' In my 99 V6 Supercharged Camry I've never had the balls to put in anything less than premium.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not likely to ping during winter with the colder ambient temps. My former 89 Camry 4 cyl would ping during the warm weather only and I would use premium during the summer till I figured out that it was carbon buildup and used a cleaner to solve the pinging.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
91+ vs 87 makes a difference no matter what anyone says. otherwise it would be pointless to have the difference. The ECU will re-calc timing and fuel/air mixture. Definitely right to feel more power.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
fuel

I don't think all cars respond the same with different fuels, as it depends on how the engine management computer is calibrated. I also don't think that cars today should ping, no matter what you put in. They usually mount small microphone pickups somewhere externally down low on the engine block to detect the onset of pinging. If it's heard, the computer retards engine timing until the pinging stops. By using the higher octane stuff, it allows the computer to dial in more timing before the dreaded pinging happens. I know GM was doing this in the late 90's, so I assume it's still done. Does anyone out there know? Toyota seems to be one of the manufacturers that lost the most when they re-rated engine horsepower. The Honda Pilot engine, a 3.5 liter, went from 255 advertised hp in 2005 to 247hp in 2006, but the Toyota 3.3 liter lost 15hp (215 vs 230). Maybe they had to retest with regular, where the old 230hp rating was achieved with premium. This might mean that the Toyota computers work with a bit wider range of timing parameters. Plausible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you really belive that the computer in you car knows what octane fuel is in the tank? Unless the factory says use premium fuel because the engine has higher compression you are wasting your money.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
lol well the computer knows when the car is running smoothly and when it is not. So if lower octane fuel causes the vehicle to not run as smoothly the computer does adjust timing, air, and fuel mixtures.

But the computer can only adjust for so much until you experience severe problems and that lovely check engine light turns on.

one day i'd like to try 110 octane in a full tank.

·
Banned
443 Posts
JMSinMD said:
I'm really curious as to actual miles per gallon Highlanders are getting.

I average around 20 mpg mixed highway and city with our 3.3 liter V6 AWD.
Damn, I get 23 with my 93 Astro with the 4.3 V6

Makes me wonder what's so great about these Hybrids.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL my A$$, Unless you have modified you car to increase compression or its got extreme carbon buildup it should run fine on 87 octane fuel. I would love to see nodrogkam or "The Power Slut " put some 110 octane fuel in your car and put it on a dyno and find out that you don't get more power.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
hey, if its never been done you cant tell for sure. thats why i said one day i'd like to try it. so if there's no gains, then no gains, i just 'lost' 6 dollars. no real harm done. =)

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
regular vs. premium

wnnarce said:
Do you really belive that the computer in you car knows what octane fuel is in the tank? Unless the factory says use premium fuel because the engine has higher compression you are wasting your money.
The computer doesn't know what fuel you have in, but it can detect pre-ignition noises (otherwise known as pinging) within the engine. Premium fuel allows the computer to dial in more ignition timing before pinging is detected, allowing greater power and response. Using a lower octane fuel will bring on pinging at a lower timing level. The computer then retards timing to stop the pinging. If you check the compression ratio specs on the HL 3.3, you'll see it's either 10.7 or 10.8:1 (I forget the exact ratio). The ONLY way that you would not hear pinging with 87 octane is for the computer to seriously retard engine timing to protect the engine. Less timing = less horsepower. By the way, up until not too long ago, engines with this much compression required premium fuel ONLY. The fact that Toyota claims you may run 87 octane or higher is a testament to the amount of range that their computer can adjust - more than most, I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It also helps that the engines are made of aluminum which disapates heat better that cast iron that older engines are made of, and heat is the cause for pre-ignition. Maybe we need to get the Mythbusters in on this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts